corner corner Freaky Friday

Freaky Friday
by Mary Rodgers | Teens
Registered by wingResQgeekwing of Alexandria, Virginia USA on Friday, November 16, 2012

status (set by AnonymousFinder): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingResQgeekwing from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Friday, November 16, 2012

Registered in memory of my daughter, who was tragically killed on 30 August 2010.

Becky's love lives in you! Live her love by sharing Becky's hugs! Visit the Becky's Hugs page at Facebook.

(Why didn't I know that the 'Freaky Friday' movies were based on a book? I just might have to read this one before I release it!)

Journal Entry 2 by wingResQgeekwing at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Monday, December 03, 2012

Okay, so the basic outline of this book is generally familiar to anyone who has seen one of the movie versions of this story (there are at least three...the 1976 original staring Jodie Foster, a 1995 made-for-tv movie, and the 2003 Lindsay Lohan version). When a mother and her teenage daughter change bodies for a day, they each come to understand the other better, vastly improving their relationship. And to that extent, the movies are true to the basic story in the book. But the details certainly vary. There are a lot of elements of this book that feel a bit dated (such as gender roles and attitudes), and the story is entirely told from the daughter's point-of-view, so we don't get more than a synopsis of the mother's day in her daughter's body. Also, the switch here is not caused by some mysterious outside force, but is intentional on the part of the mother (exactly *how* is never explained, though), so the double confusion of the movies is missing here. Still, it is an entertaining reminder that the generational conflicts are as old as families, and that much can be gained by trying to appreciate the other point-of-view.

Journal Entry 3 by wingResQgeekwing at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Released 1 yr ago (12/22/2012 UTC) at Alexandria, Virginia USA

Passing along to melydia, for her to release.

Journal Entry 4 by wingmelydiawing at Centreville, Virginia USA on Sunday, December 23, 2012

ResQgeek gave me this at today's BCinDC holiday party for release. Thanks!

Journal Entry 5 by wingmelydiawing at John Marshall Memorial Park in Washington, District of Columbia USA on Sunday, June 30, 2013

Released 1 yr ago (6/29/2013 UTC) at John Marshall Memorial Park in Washington, District of Columbia USA

Left by the statue of the guys playing chess.

Journal Entry 6 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at -- Wild released somewhere in the District, District of Columbia USA on Thursday, July 03, 2014

This book mysteriously appeared a few days ago on our meeting table in the NPR Books office ... and I can't believe I've never read it. So I will, in Becky's honor.