corner corner Lost in Shangri-La

Lost in Shangri-La
by MITCHELL ZUCKOFF |
Registered by emmejo of Trumansburg, New York USA on 11/1/2012

status (set by countedx58): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by emmejo from Trumansburg, New York USA on Thursday, November 01, 2012

I read this book a while ago when I borrowed it from the library and picked this copy up on bag day at the local library's booksale.

This book tells the story of a WW II plane crash on a remote, unexplored island. The sightseeing plane held 24 servicemen and WAC's, but only three survived the crash. All three were badly injured, had no supplies to help them stay alive until help could find them in the middle of a dense jungle and the only people around were the native tribal people of the island, who had never seen any other group of humans. The Army quickly realized what had happened, but finding a plan that would let them get the survivors out took a dangerously long time and involved dropping more people into a jungle no-one was sure there was a way out of.

I really enjoyed this book. Zuckoff's writing is fast-paced and to-the-point, but also expressive and good at creating the moods felt by the different groups; from the survivors on the edge of panic and despair to the native's confusion. I also liked that he admitted to the fact that details were thin in places, for example, neither the pilot nor the co-pilot survived, so we will probably never know for sure what happened to cause the crash, and what he postulates is based on guesswork from then and now. He also explains how he arrived at these ideas, and what info he discredited in favor of something more likely.

The only problem I had with it was that the pacing is a bit uneven, sometimes rushing through info I would have liked to spend more time on, and at other times, dragging and making it difficult to keep my interest on the book.

Journal Entry 2 by emmejo at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Friday, November 02, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (11/2/2012 UTC) at Honolulu, Hawaii USA

Mailed to hyphen8 in the Wishlist Tag Game.

Journal Entry 3 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Received today as a wishlist tag.

This looks fascinating - thank you very much!

Journal Entry 4 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Saturday, December 29, 2012

An enjoyable read - not only about the "lost" Americans, but about the people of the valley and the Filipino and Filipino-American soldiers. The glider adventure was really something!

I do have a quibble: the text says "Then came December 8, 1941. One day after Pearl Harbor, Japan launched a surprise air-and-land attack on the Philippines, centered on the island of Luzon." (Emphasis added.) It was only "one day after" the attack on Pearl Harbor because of the time difference; actually it was probably taking place at just about the same time given that Hawaii and the Philippines are about 18 hours apart (I don't know if or how daylight savings time was in effect in the Philippines at the time).

Noteworthy:

Gremlins were mythical creatures blamed by airmen for sabotaging aircraft. The term was popularized by a 1943 children's picture book called The Gremlins, written by a young Royal Air Force lieutenant destined to become a world-famous author: Roald Dahl. - added to my wishlist. :p

The "milestone that contributed to a revolution in portable wireless communication": a "thirty-five pound two-way radio the size of a small suitcase. Designed by Motorola for the Army Signal Corps, the device could be carried on a soldier's back, hence it's immortal nicname, the "walkie-talkie". - the size of a suitcase?! :o

For girls, war meant having the upper halves of one or more fingers chopped off each time a close relative was killed, to satisfy the dead person's ghost . . . . "First he ties off a girls' arm with a tight string above the elbow. Then he smashes her elbow down on a rock or a board, hitting the olecranon process, the 'funny bone,' in order to numb the nerves in the fingers." - well, at least there was some anesthesia, but I'll think of that the next time I hit my funny bone. :(

Oh, and I'm not a guy, but penis gourds sure don't *sound* comfortable... :s

Journal Entry 5 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Saturday, January 26, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (1/26/2013 UTC) at Honolulu, Hawaii USA

This book is headed out in a birthday package - enjoy!

I'll count this as a release for Secretariat's 2013 Never Judge a Book By Its Cover Challenge (week 4).

Journal Entry 6 by JDT at Pleasanton, California USA on Friday, February 15, 2013

a wonderful birthday surprise in my mailbox - this book has been on my wishlist quite awhile. The hidden stickers and bookmarks were an extra surprise.

Thanks so much for your generous & thoughtful birthday RABCK, Aimee - I'm still smiling!

Journal Entry 7 by countedx58 at San Francisco, California USA on Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Picked up at tonight's meeting. Thanks!

Journal Entry 8 by countedx58 at Alameda, California USA on Thursday, September 01, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (9/3/2016 UTC) at Alameda, California USA