corner corner Her Infinite Variety: Stories of Shakespeare and the Women He Loved

Her Infinite Variety: Stories of Shakespeare and the Women He Loved
by Pamela Rafael Berkman | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Zmrzlina of Abington, Massachusetts USA on 11/17/2003

status (set by sstich79): available

Journal Entry 1 by Zmrzlina from Abington, Massachusetts USA on Monday, November 17, 2003

From back of book:

With elegance, sympathy, and nuance, Her Infinite Variety celebrates the women in William Shakespeare's world. These lyrical stories move from Elizabethan London, where Shakespeare is drawn to the plight of the young wife of a wealthy friend, to a wintry Denmark, where Ophelia struggles to understand her love for Hamlet, and to Shakespeare's Stratford home, where his daughter Judith deliberately enters into a shameful marriage. At the center of this remarkable book is Shakespeare's enduring love for Anne Hathaway, his beautiful, passionate, illiterate wife. Together, the masterfully interwoven stories of Her Infinite Variety bring to life a Shakespeare who was formed by the women he loved -- and who loved him.

Journal Entry 2 by Zmrzlina from Abington, Massachusetts USA on Friday, November 21, 2003

Off to karendawn throught BookRelay.

Journal Entry 3 by karendawn from Lafayette, Indiana USA on Tuesday, December 09, 2003

Book arrived today. Thank you!

Journal Entry 4 by karendawn from Lafayette, Indiana USA on Tuesday, January 20, 2004

I didn't at first realize that this book was historical fiction. I thought it was more along the lines of biography/literary criticism. I have no idea why I thought that. The description indicated that fact, and it is in the literature/FICTION category. *sigh* But anyway, I discovered right away that it was historical fiction, with a lot of liberty taken. So I don't know if it was because my expectations for the book were not met that I didn't like it or if I didn't like it for another reason. One thing I know that I disliked was the mix of Shakespeare's life and those of his characters. It might have been a more streamlined book if she had gone simply one way or the other instead of both.

Journal Entry 5 by karendawn at on Saturday, February 14, 2004

Released on Saturday, February 14, 2004 at Mailed to a fellow Bookcrosser in n/a, n/a Controlled Releases.

Journal Entry 6 by LeighBCD on Friday, February 20, 2004

I received this last night... thanks so much. I began reading it this morning on my way to work as I needed a slim book (rather than a fat one) to fit into the bag I was carrying! So far I am enjoying it, I will make another journal entry soon.

Journal Entry 7 by LeighBCD on Friday, February 27, 2004

I really enjoyed this book. Each of the stories could stand alone but together tell an engrossing tale about the life of Shakespeare as it might have been. I particularly loved the story about his daughter Judith. I was less enamoured of the tales about his main female characters other than the one about Ophelia - I thought that was good. The story told by Juliet's mother also had an interesting twist.

I am going to offer this in a book relay again so that it can continue to be read by more bookcrossers.

Thanks for sharing this with me!

Journal Entry 8 by LeighBCD at Sundrop in Orlando, Florida -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, March 03, 2004

Released on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 at Sundrop in Orlando, Florida Controlled Releases.

On its way from grey gloomy London to the sunny shores of Orlando, Florida, and sundrop!

Journal Entry 9 by sundrop from Hurricane, West Virginia USA on Monday, April 12, 2004

Just recieved in the mail today, thanks so much.

Journal Entry 10 by sundrop from Hurricane, West Virginia USA on Sunday, June 27, 2004

I'm not a huge fan of short stories. That being said, I thought this collection was better than others because they do follow a theme of the love's of Shakespeare. Interesting and a quick read.

Journal Entry 11 by sundrop from Hurricane, West Virginia USA on Saturday, July 17, 2004

Offered on CR's bookrelay...

Journal Entry 12 by sstich79 from Louisville, Kentucky USA on Saturday, July 31, 2004

Received today; thanks so much! I'm looking forward to it.

Journal Entry 13 by sstich79 from Louisville, Kentucky USA on Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Overall, an interesting read. I'm going to have to agree with karendawn, however, about the blending of the stories of Shakespeare's women and his characters being a bit off-putting. I think I actually would have really enjoyed it had the author scrapped the tales of the "real" women in favor of more in-depth stories from the perspectives of the Shakespearean characters. There's a lot of great material to work with there, obviously, and I felt that some of the stories showed real promise for further development.

Available!