corner corner The Bastard King: Scepter of Mercy, Book One

The Bastard King: Scepter of Mercy, Book One
by Dan Chernenko | Science Fiction & Fantasy
Registered by Zmrzlina of Abington, Massachusetts USA on 11/17/2003

status (set by WestofMars): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by Zmrzlina from Abington, Massachusetts USA on Monday, November 17, 2003

From Publishers Weekly:

Set in the kingdom of Avornis, Chernenko's debut fantasy uses simple language and straightforward narrative to chronicle the rise of two extraordinary men-Lanius, the bastard son of a king, and Grus, a royal navy captain of humble origin. Due to an irregular succession and his anomalous status, the young Lanius finds his life ruled by a series of regents, including his mother and later Grus, who serves as the more powerful joint king. Meanwhile, Grus has become a general, fighting both the warlike Thervings and the Menteshe, who are vassals of the Banished One. A former God thrown out of heaven by the other Gods, the evil Banished One seeks to subject all to his will. Indirectly in his control is the talisman known as the Scepter of Mercy, once the property of the Avornis kings, which he can't wield but which others could use to defeat him. Each new king of Avornis has pledged to do all he can to get the scepter back, but its powers and appearance are uncertain and it's not until the end that both Lanius and Grus determine to follow through on the pledge, paving the way for future installments.

Journal Entry 2 by brewski from Markham, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, December 10, 2003

Thanks Zmrzlina, the book arrived today! I'm looking forward to reading this soon hopefully. Hehe, every time I see your screen name I feel like having some ice cream now that I have visited your website to see what it meant :)

Journal Entry 3 by brewski from Markham, Ontario Canada on Monday, January 07, 2008

I originally started reading this book late last year after having it in my possession for close to four years. My intention was to use it for guinaveve's 2007 Keep Them Moving Challenge, but since I have only just now finished the book, I guess I will now be using it for the 2008 Keep Them Moving Challenge instead.

Now on to what I thought of this book. The first thing that struck me was the number of times the word bastard was used, especially early in the novel. I do realize the name of this book is The Bastard King, but I had to laugh at how frequently the word bastard was used in this novel :)

I did find the rest of the novel to be a fairly compelling story, although the writing was a bit choppy at times. The storyline was engaging and I found myself eagerly turning the pages to see what fates laid in store for Grus, Lanius, and the people of Avornis. I enjoyed this novel enough that I will keep my eyes open for the remaining installments in the Scepter of Mercy trilogy.

I am setting this book aside as a surprise RABCK for a BookObsessor that has this on their wishlist.

Journal Entry 4 by brewski from Markham, Ontario Canada on Saturday, February 02, 2008

Dropping this in the mail today.

Journal Entry 5 by WestofMars from Mars, Pennsylvania USA on Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Whoa, this came as quite the pleasant and welcome surprise -- especially since Z doesn't live that far from me, it's like the book came home.

Brewski, you rock. Thanks!