corner corner Burned Alive

Burned Alive
by Souad | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by DubaiReader of Dubai, Dubai United Arab Emirates on 10/5/2012

status (set by imawinn2): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by DubaiReader from Dubai, Dubai United Arab Emirates on Friday, October 05, 2012

From Amazon:
When Souad was seventeen she fell in love. In her village, as in so many others, sex before marriage was considered a grave dishonour to one's family and was punishable by death. This was her crime. Her brother-in-law was given the task of arranging her punishment. One morning while Souad was washing the family's clothes, he crept up on her, poured petrol over her and set her alight. In the eyes of their community he was a hero. An execution for a 'crime of honour' was a respectable duty unlikely to bring about condemnation from others. It certainly would not have provoked calls for his prosecution. More than five thousand cases of such honour killings are reported around the world each year and many more take place that we hear nothing about. Miraculously, Souad survived rescued by the women of her village, who put out the flames and took her to a local hospital. Horrifically burned, and abandoned by her family and community, it was only the intervention of a European ald worker that enabled Souad to receive the care and sanctuary she so desperately needed and to start her life again. She has now decided to tell her story and uncover the barbarity of honour killings, a practice which continues to this day. Burned Alive is a shocking testimony, a true story of almost unbellevable cruelty. It speaks of amazing courage and fortitude and of one woman's determination to survive. It is also a call to break the taboo of silence that surrounds this most brutal of practices and which ignores the plight of so many other women who are also victims of traditional violence.

Journal Entry 2 by DubaiReader at Dubai, Dubai United Arab Emirates on Friday, October 05, 2012

This book was a duplicate of one on my shelves. I haven't read it yet but hopefully I'll get a chance soon.
On its way to Hyphen8 for the Wish List Tag Game.

I hope you *enjoy* it Hyphen.

Journal Entry 3 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Saturday, October 06, 2012

Received yesterday along with a great batch of stamps for Mom's collection. Thank you for sharing. This looks like it will be fascinating, although perhaps not easy to read.

Journal Entry 4 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Sunday, October 14, 2012

Souad was born in in a small village; in her family girls didn't go to school, were frequently told they are worthless, and were regularly beaten.

In another time and place, her involvement with her neighbor would probably be seen as risky, inadvisable, and likely to make her parents very unhappy...but in Souad's village the mere suspicion of sexual misconduct by a woman could bring on deadly punishment.

Traditions are always hard to change, but working to stop honor killings is definitely important work. Souad is one of the lucky ones - she managed to survive and build a new life - but what about all the other young women in danger of a similar attack? She is working with the Surgir Foundation to help fight this terrible type of crime (website available in French, English, and German).

Journal Entry 5 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Sunday, October 14, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (10/13/2012 UTC) at Honolulu, Hawaii USA

This book went looking for a new reader today - it went out as a wishlist RABCK (media mail).

Journal Entry 6 by imawinn2 at Neenah, Wisconsin USA on Sunday, November 04, 2012

Hyphen8 granted me a wonderful Wish. Thanks for the RABCK! Thank you for thinking of me when you decided to send this book on a journey. It was recommended to me by my daughter who read it in class.