corner corner Down the Plughole: An Irreverent History of the Bath

Down the Plughole: An Irreverent History of the Bath
by Steve Dobell |
Registered by timcorke of Bursledon, Hampshire United Kingdom on 9/23/2012

status (set by AnonymousFinder): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by timcorke from Bursledon, Hampshire United Kingdom on Sunday, September 23, 2012

Welcome to BookCrossing - the world's online library keeping track of our favourite books as they travel around the world

If you've picked up this book, welcome, and please do leave a short journal note saying something about the journey of the book.

If you'd like to join, add your member referral as timbono1

This book was salvaged from the Poole Freecycle network in Dorset

Journal Entry 2 by timcorke at Poole, Dorset United Kingdom on Saturday, September 29, 2012

Down The Plughole has ended up being my 300th read book according to Goodreads and whilst it will never win any major literary awards it will always hold a special place in my reading adventure.

I never thought I'd find an historical account of the humble bath and I'm pleased I have. Dobwell has a well-researched and composed book on how the bath has shaped the world through the various empires and civilisations.

It is a humorous look at what most people would never give a second glance and has achieved what i believe is what a book is all about - providing some element of education, entertainment that will provoke conversation.

Book reference - http://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/11419500

I'll definitely be telling others about this for its sheer uniqueness but fresh look on the world.

updated bc list - 11/01/2014

glade1 - lives US, post US
hyphen8 - lives US, post US
Llednyl - lives US, post US -- en route
azuki - lives US, post Intl
Bookworm-lady - lives Spain, post Intl
Edwardstreet (lives New Zealand, post Intl) -- en route
CCardoso33 (lives U.K, post Intl)
Tchaikovsky (lives U.S.A, post Intl)

Journal Entry 3 by glade1 at McLeansville, North Carolina USA on Friday, October 12, 2012

Received this in the mail yesterday. I'm very excited about reading it - I love quirky little books like this! It is, however, in line behind a few others that I have promised to BCers, so it may be a little while before I get to it. Will try to hurry! Thank you, timcorke, for sharing this one!

Journal Entry 4 by glade1 at McLeansville, North Carolina USA on Saturday, October 27, 2012

This is a slim volume that discusses the history of the bath. It is focused almost exclusively on the history of the bath in Europe. It begins with the Ancient Greeks and then primarily discusses England and its relationship with baths until the 20th century. Surely people before the Greeks and in other parts of the world have bathed, but this is not a comprehensive history. What there is of it is lighthearted and informative; it just does not feel very complete. I do enjoy quirky little books like this, though, and am glad I read it!

Thank you again, timcorke, for sharing it. I hope to mail it out to hyphen8 this week. I already have an address.

Journal Entry 5 by glade1 at Greensboro, North Carolina USA on Thursday, November 08, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (11/8/2012 UTC) at Greensboro, North Carolina USA

Finally had a payday so I could mail this! Sent to hyphen8 today via US mail. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Wednesday, November 14, 2012

This cute little book arrived today - very speedy! I have a couple of books in front of it but I'll get to it as soon as I can.

Journal Entry 7 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Just a quick note - I've finished reading the book and hope to get it out soon. I think it's light enough for me to drop in a mailbox (avoiding the lines at the post office) so I might even get it out before Christmas! :)

Journal Entry 8 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Saturday, December 22, 2012

Released 4 yrs ago (12/22/2012 UTC) at Honolulu, Hawaii USA

As glade1 mentioned, this book focuses almost exclusively on the history of the bath in Europe, and particularly the British Isles. It was an interesting read, but a fuller story would have been nice too - now I want to go looking for a history of the furo.

The journal picture is of a print that hangs in our bathroom: it's the left half of a famous Japanese print - you can see the whole thing here.

Since the world hasn't ended, this book is headed off to Ohio for the next reader - enjoy!

I'm counting this book as a release for my D for December challenge.

Journal Entry 9 by Llednyl at Richwood, Ohio USA on Wednesday, January 02, 2013

Arrived a couple days ago! Looks like a fun read. Have another book ahead of it but will get to it as soon as possible.

Journal Entry 10 by Llednyl at Richwood, Ohio USA on Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (2/26/2013 UTC) at Richwood, Ohio USA

After much hoo-ha and lost PMs, this book is on its way to Azuki (thanks for being so patient!)

What a quirky, obscure little book! Good thing those are my favorites. It was informative, subtly comic, and oh-so-British. It rather reminded me of the kind of thing Stephen Fry might write were he to undertake a history of the bath.

One thing to keep in mind: this isn't the most comprehensive history, nor the most serious. Dobell cites no references, and the style makes one question the veracity of some of his statements. Having said that, it's also not necessarily the type of book one would read for entertainment alone. So I suppose it's best explained as a lighthearted ode to bathing from someone who obviously enjoys it, and also happens to enjoy knowing how things got to where they are today.

Thanks so much for sharing this!

Journal Entry 11 by wingazukiwing at Miami, Florida USA on Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Thank you, book is here! And sorry for all the trouble you've gone through to get my address!
Reading the journals, may I suggest that if you are interested in a more in depth look at baths, Cathedrals of the Flesh is an excellent book. The author went around the world for different bath experience. It totally sparked my love for spa... Here's the journal of my copy: http://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/9950921
I have another ring before this but that's a thin book so it shouldn't take too long.

Journal Entry 12 by wingazukiwing at Miami, Florida USA on Friday, May 03, 2013

Some interesting tidbit, but I definitely recommend Cathedrals of the Flesh much more, after reading it you want so much to relax in a bath.
Now mailing on to the next reader. It goes by surface mail so may take a couple of months.

Journal Entry 13 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Thursday, August 01, 2013

And here it is! :)
It looks like a fun read, ideal for Summer; I seem to be the last in the ray, which is a relief as Mount TBR keeps piling up! I'll try to find some more readers for it in due time. :)
Thanks for sharing, TimCorke; and thanks for sending it to me from across the ocean, Azuki.

Journal Entry 14 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Monday, December 09, 2013

I am currently reading it, and I have found some more interested readers, so here is the new bookray:

1. Edwardstreet (New Zealand)
2. CCardoso33 (U.K.)
3. Tchaikovsky (U.S.A.)

Still open for more entrants...

Journal Entry 15 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Friday, January 10, 2014

I really enjoyed this little book, and at some points it made me laugh out loud.

Some quotes:

"The metal slipper bath, or sabot in French, was so called because it was shaped like a boot, and the bather was enclosed except for the head and shoulders. This must have prolonged the warmth of the water and produced a sense of wellbeing _unless or until, like the French revolutionary leader Jean Marat, you received the visit of a knife-wielding assassin."

"It is pleasant to imagine the author of "Jane Eyre" pumping away in her shower-cap while wrestling with the plotting of "Shirley" or "Villette"." (One of Charlotte Brontë's friends sent her a primitive shower-bath as a present.)

Highly enjoyable, I particularly like the chaper on art, and it made me look for some works I wasn't familiar with, such as this etching by Marc Chagall of David and Batsheba, probably the most famous bather in the Bible (see pic).

Thanks a lot for rescuing this enjoyable little book and sharing it with all of us, Timcorke! I have started a mini.bookray for it, and it will soon be on its way to New Zealand.

Journal Entry 16 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Friday, January 10, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (1/10/2014 UTC) at Madrid, Madrid Spain

Sent today to Edwardstreet, in New Zealand.
Let's get this little book travelling again! :)

Journal Entry 17 by wingEdwardstreetwing at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Thursday, January 16, 2014

A letter box surprise, we have a holiday weekend in Wellington this weekend, so will read it then. Thanks for sending all the way to New Zealand.

Journal Entry 18 by wingEdwardstreetwing at -- By post or by hand/ in person, RABCK , bookring/ray in Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Saturday, January 18, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (1/20/2014 UTC) at -- By post or by hand/ in person, RABCK , bookring/ray in Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand

Posting as soon as I receive the UK address of the next recipient.

A quick light read, educational as well. Has not persuaded me to have a bath however, the thought of lying in body soup does not appeal.
Ccardoso33 wants to be skipped will contact the next on the list and send to the USA when address received.

Journal Entry 19 by wingEdwardstreetwing at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Tuesday, January 21, 2014

The next two on the ring have asked to be skipped. Will release at the Melbourne Convention instead

Journal Entry 20 by wingEdwardstreetwing at 2014 Melbourne Convention in Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (4/11/2014 UTC) at 2014 Melbourne Convention in Melbourne, Victoria Australia

This was a bookring and the last two particpants asked to be skipped. Nice and small and ideal for imternational travel to the 2014 Convention in Melbourne

Journal Entry 21 by wingEdwardstreetwing at 2014 Melbourne Convention in Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (4/14/2014 UTC) at 2014 Melbourne Convention in Melbourne, Victoria Australia

enjoy

Journal Entry 22 by winggoldenwattlewing at Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Picked up at the Bookcrossing Convention in Melbourne. Thank you.

Journal Entry 23 by winggoldenwattlewing at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Tuesday, October 07, 2014

Let me say by prefacing, that I don't bath - sounds disgusting doesn't it - but let go of your noses; I shower. I just don't get the soak in bath experience, when I could be doing much more interesting and enjoyable things. Not to mention living in a country where at times water is scarce and a full bath of water would be a selfish waste. It's not the same having a bath in a few centimetres of water, and needing to splash it on oneself from the shallow layer to get wet. No, a few quick minutes in a shower is much more enjoyable.
Having said that, I did enjoy the read, although it is mostly Euro-centric. I thought it would have covered different bathing traditions. It mostly doesn't. There were things to learn, but they are covered lightly. But the book is thin so no more could be expected.
Worth a read and I hope the next person enjoys it.

Journal Entry 24 by winggoldenwattlewing at Main Street in North Conway, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, October 07, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (10/7/2014 UTC) at Main Street in North Conway, New Hampshire USA

Left in Buddha's lap in the main street of North Conway, New Hampshire, USA.

If you take this book the previous readers would really appreciate if you could please log your find. That way we can all follow the book's journey. Bookcrossing is spam free and your details are private, or you can log the find anonymously. Thank you and enjoy the read.

To the finder, enjoy, and I hope you will write a journal entry so that previous readers will know that this book has been found (even anonymously). It is always a joy to find where it has gone. Once you've read this book, pass it on to a friend, or set it out "in the wild" for someone else to find as you did.
You can remain anonymous but if you are interested in joining please consider using - Goldenwattle as your referrer.
When you pass this book along, please make a release note to let others know where you left it. Thank you.

More information on BookCrossing

Journal Entry 25 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at North Conway, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, October 08, 2014

Just picked this book up from Buddha's lap.....feel blessed!
I will read it on my return flight to Florida and release it there.