corner corner Kindred

Kindred
by Octavia Butler | Science Fiction & Fantasy
Registered by winghyphen8wing of Honolulu, Hawaii USA on 9/16/2012

status (set by BethR2): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by winghyphen8wing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Saturday, September 22, 2012

This edition has a reader's guide which includes an interesting essay about Butler's work.

Bookray headed out to see the world thanks to Dancesports who has provided a replacement copy. Continuing onward from the previous bookray...

Here are the instructions:

1. Make a quick journal entry when you receive the book so we know it got to you safely.

2. VOLUNTARY - let's see if anyone reads this part! ;) If you're willing, please PM hyphen8 for my address and send me a postcard with some interesting stamps on it for my mom the stamp collector.

3. Read and send on within 1 month - or make a journal entry to let us know how it's going if you need to keep the book longer. I realize that sometimes life gets in the way of BookCrossing, but please keep us posted on what's happening.

4. Make a journal entry when you've finished - tell us what you thought!

5. Check back here to make sure the mailing order hasn't changed, then PM the next person in line for an address. Even if you've mailed something to that person before, please double-check their mailing info and make sure they're still interested and able to participate.

6. Use whatever shipping method works best for you; if you have a surface mail option, that's fine. If you're able to use delivery confirmation/tracking that's always nice.

Current order (subject to change):
*PLEASE* check before sending to the next person!

DubaiReader - Dubai (will mail internationally)
daffodil-2 - UK (UK only)
earthcaroleanne - UK (will mail internationally)
iwillrejoice - Florida, US (prefers US shipping)
back to hyphen8

This ray is still open for additional signups so please check here before sending the book to the next person - just in case the order has changed. If you'd like to join, please post in the forum thread and send me a PM.

Other copies on my BookCrossing shelf:

9768405734252964137131625850

Journal Entry 2 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Saturday, January 26, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (1/26/2013 UTC) at Honolulu, Hawaii USA

Headed to Dubai to continue the ray; release counted for Secretariat's 2013 Never Judge a Book By Its Cover Challenge (week 4).

Journal Entry 3 by DubaiReader at Dubai, Dubai United Arab Emirates on Saturday, April 13, 2013

A beautiful new copy of Kindred has arrived here. I shall give it a plastic cover before reading if that's OK?
I have several BookCrossing books ahead of it but I will do my best to get it moving again quickly.
I have had this book on my Wish List for SO long! Thankyou to Hyphen8 for sending a duplicate copy when the previous one went AWOL.

Journal Entry 4 by DubaiReader at Dubai, Dubai United Arab Emirates on Monday, August 19, 2013

My apologies for the delay on this book. I had good intentions - took it all the way to UK with me this summer and then to Italy for my son's wedding. Unfortunately everyone had other designs on my time and it came back to Dubai with me still unread.
Making two wedding dresses this year (daughter and daughter-in-law) has left me FOURTEEN books behind according to the orracle that is GoodReads!
Zeitoun first, then this, promise!

Journal Entry 5 by DubaiReader at Dubai, Dubai United Arab Emirates on Tuesday, October 22, 2013

This book is now ready to continue on its travels, I'm sorry it has taken me so long.
I have PM'd Daffodil 2 for an address to send it on to and I'll get it on the move again asap.
Thanks.

Journal Entry 6 by daffodil-2 at North Walsham, Norfolk United Kingdom on Friday, November 22, 2013

Arrived in the post today. Thanks a lot to DubaiReader for sending it. Will read as soon as possible.

Journal Entry 7 by daffodil-2 at North Walsham, Norfolk United Kingdom on Thursday, November 28, 2013

REVIEW:- I started to read this book but I'm afraid I didn't like the way it was written and couldn't get into it at all. I have read and enjoyed other time travel books but this just didn't ring true for me right from the start. Could this be the reason why the two previous readers haven't in fact reviewed the book at all?

(Thanks, by the way, to whichever of you left the bookmarks and b.c. stickers inside the book. I have left one bookmark in the book and will post the book on to the next on the list as soon as I get an address.)

Journal Entry 8 by daffodil-2 at North Walsham, Norfolk United Kingdom on Thursday, November 28, 2013

Released 3 yrs ago (11/29/2013 UTC) at North Walsham, Norfolk United Kingdom

This book will be sent to Falkirk to earthcaroleanne in the care of Royal Mail as she is next on the list for the bookring/ray ( Iforget which!).

To the finder:-

I already have books travelling in New Zealand, Australia, Indonesia, the USA, Brazil, Madeira, Spain, Portugal, Austria, Turkey, the Canary Islands, Croatia, Holland, France, the Channel Islands, Wales, Scotland and all over England.

Journal Entry 9 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, December 01, 2013

Arrived yesterday. Looking forward to this.

Journal Entry 10 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, December 20, 2013

OMG, I loved this - I couldn't put it down. This is going to be my book for the Favourites Roundabout - and just in time. I must admit at first it reminded me of another book too much (I won't mention which one in case you are like me and read books with no idea what they are about), but after checking which was was written first, I couldn't believe this one was written in 1979. How have I missed this for so long? The descriptions were just amazing, it was a history lesson too. I felt for Kevin readjusting to his life with Dana. I could almost feel what Dana and the others went through but of course it is unimaginable. How do we know what we would have been like then? Rufus is such a complex character - product of the time? his upbringing? maybe he only had a conscience because of Dana? but I don't think he could ever have been trusted.

Journal Entry 11 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Immokalee, Florida USA on Saturday, December 21, 2013

Released 3 yrs ago (12/24/2013 UTC) at Immokalee, Florida USA

On it's way in the bookray - it may actually have to wait until after Christmas but it is all packaged up ready to go.

Journal Entry 12 by wingiwillrejoicewing at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Monday, March 03, 2014

It's here! Arrived safely this nice, sunny day in Florida. I'm in the middle of both a paper book & an audio book right now, but will plan to read this one next.

Thanks for sharing! I had totally forgotten about this ray! (Where shall I send it next?)

Journal Entry 13 by wingiwillrejoicewing at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Tuesday, March 11, 2014

I read this & a non-BookCrossing friend read it, & we both enjoyed it very much! Thanks so much for sharing!

As soon as hyphen8 lets me know where I should send it next, it'll be on its way again. :-)

Journal Entry 14 by wingiwillrejoicewing at A fellow BookCrosser, by mail -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, April 19, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (4/19/2014 UTC) at A fellow BookCrosser, by mail -- Controlled Releases

Heading home to Hawaii. Thanks for sharing! Great book!

Journal Entry 15 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Tuesday, April 29, 2014

This globe-trotting book came back home today. I'll try to find a new reader for it.

Note to iwillrejoice: I hope the only alligators here are in the zoo! :)

Journal Entry 16 by winghyphen8wing at Hawaii Book & Music Festival in Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (5/3/2014 UTC) at Hawaii Book & Music Festival in Honolulu, Hawaii USA

To be released at our fourth annual pop-up OBCZ during the 2014 Hawaii Book and Music Festival.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm so glad you've found this book!

Won't you please make a journal entry to let the book's previous readers know that it's safely in your hands? How did you find it? What did you think of it? What are you going to do with it next?

BookCrossing: making the whole world a library!

Journal Entry 17 by BethR at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Sunday, June 01, 2014

I found the book at the Book and Music Festival. I plan to read it soon.

I'm sorry to have taken so long to make a post! I'll read it as soon as possible and send it on its way.

Journal Entry 18 by BethR2 at Kaneohe, Hawaii USA on Sunday, July 06, 2014

I found this book on BethR's bookshelf. My goodness, she had it a long time!

I read it right away and enjoyed it tremendously. It's a story about a woman who is drawn back into a horrible time. She needs to make terrible decisions.

Journal Entry 19 by BethR2 at Kaneohe, Hawaii USA on Saturday, July 12, 2014

I'm ready to send the book on. It's been fun having a book that's been all over!

Does anyone want it?

Journal Entry 20 by BethR2 at Mobile, Alabama USA on Monday, July 21, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (7/22/2014 UTC) at Mobile, Alabama USA

The book will be sent to Mobile, Alabama. You should see it logged in again in a few weeks.