corner corner How I Live Now

How I Live Now
by Meg Rosoff | Literature & Fiction
Registered by rainbow3 of Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, September 15, 2012

status (set by rainbow3): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by rainbow3 from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, September 15, 2012

Amazon.co.uk Review
Possibly one of the most talked about books of the year, Meg Rosoff’s novel for young adults is the winner of the Guardian Children’s Fiction Prize 2004. Heralded by some as the next best adult crossover novel since Mark Haddon’s The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, who himself has given the book a thunderously good quote, this author’s debut is undoubtedly stylish, readable and fascinating.

Rosoff’s story begins in modern day London, slightly in the future, and as its heroine has a 15-year-old Manhattanite called Daisy. She’s picked up at the airport by Edmond, her English cousin, a boy in whose life she is destined to become intricately entwined. Daisy is staying for the summer in her Aunt Penn’s country farmhouse with Edmond and her other cousins. They spend some idyllic weeks together--often alone with Aunt Penn away travelling in Norway. Daisy’s cousins seem to have an almost telepathic bond, and Daisy is mesmerised by Edmond and soon falls in love with him.

But their world changes forever when an unnamed aggressor invades England and begins a years-long occupation. Daisy is parted from Edmond when soldiers take over their home, and Daisy and Piper, her younger cousin, must travel to another place to work. Their experiences of occupation are never kind and always hard. Daisy’s pain, living without Edmond, is tangible.

Rosoff’s writing style is both brilliant and frustrating. Her descriptions and ability to portray the emotions of her characters are wonderful. Her long sentences and total lack of speech marks for dialogue is, however, exhausting. Her narrative is deeply engaging and yet a bit unbelievable. The end of the book is dramatic, but too sudden. The book has a raw, unfinished feel about it, yet that somehow adds to the experience of reading it. It’s flawed but unmissable. (Age 14 and over) --John McLay
---------------------

This is my second bookcrossing copy of How I Live Now and I have given a few copies away as presents too. Because sometimes one comes across a book that just catches your attention, is heart stirring stuff and suspends time. This I would say emphatically is one of these extra special books!

Love it or hate it leave a message here...

Journal Entry 2 by rainbow3 at Montgomery Street Park in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, September 15, 2012

Released 1 yr ago (9/15/2012 UTC) at Montgomery Street Park in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

This bookcrossing book is being made available at an event --- PICNIC IN THE PARK --- it will be in a book-box with me either on the Tea, Coffee & Cakes stall or maybe under a table in the craft tent?

The fun takes place this Saturday - piles of stuff happening for all there - families, cool dudes, elderly rellies, cute neighbours, passers-by, locals of all shapes and sizes…

| 12 noon till 4pm | Sat 15th Sept 2012 | Montgomery Street Park | Edinburgh, Scotland UK |

Check it out - come and take part in the bits that sound fun for you!
www.montgomerystreetpark.org.uk
---------------------

If you've found this book and you're new to this, (((welcome))) to bookcrossing!

There are lots of ways to enjoy BookCrossing and I hope you will discover the fun of this too. If you do decide to join BookCrossing – it’s free to join - and confidential! When you add notes to a books journal page you can follow the books trail as ‘Book Journal Alerts’, sent directly to you, keep you up-to-date with its progress.

Even if you don’t join it would be grand if you could make a quick note so I can see, what you thought of the book, if you read it, and where you ‘released’ it next. You do not need to join BookCrossing to make notes here - you can remain anonymous if you wish.

Please feel free to send me a Private Message, by clicking on the name “rainbow3”, to ask for help with bookcrossing stuff, cheers rainbow3