corner corner Seven Years In Tibet

Seven Years In Tibet
by heinrich harrer | Travel
Registered by Lutecia of Freiburg im Breisgau, Baden-Württemberg Germany on 9/8/2012

status (set by saskiasosmile): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by Lutecia from Freiburg im Breisgau, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Saturday, September 08, 2012

Film-tie edition, about the life of Harrer and his miraculous escape into Tibet during the Second World War. This edition also includes an epilogue describing the author's return to Tibet in the 1990s. Great, enduring travel account.

Journal Entry 2 by Lutecia at Norgeshus (BC Convention 2013) in Göteborg, Västergötland Sweden on Thursday, April 18, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (4/19/2013 UTC) at Norgeshus (BC Convention 2013) in Göteborg, Västergötland Sweden

The book comes with to Gothenburg.

Journal Entry 3 by Nordpirat at Göteborg, Västergötland Sweden on Sunday, April 21, 2013

I took this with me from my first bookcrossing convention. I had such a good time. :-)

Journal Entry 4 by Nordpirat at -- By post or by hand/ in person, RABCK , bookring/ray, Stockholm Sweden on Sunday, June 16, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (6/16/2013 UTC) at -- By post or by hand/ in person, RABCK , bookring/ray, Stockholm Sweden

A truly fascinating story about a very special achievment.
A couple of men managed to make their way into Tibet, make themselves welcome and actually settle down there. The escape from a P.O.W. internment in India and make their way over the Himalayas and into Tibet.
Tibet was by the time of the second world war - when Harrer and his companion entered it - a secretive and to forigners forbidden country.
This book gives a uniqe picture of the country Tibet and of the city of Lhasa which only a handful (litteraly speaking) forigners had by that time visited.
To read the last chapters of the book, about the chinese invasion and how the chinese tore down and destroyed almost every one of the ancient tibetan monuments is truly painful. A whole culture and tradition - rich and spiritual - was forever lost.

This book is released in the release challange Bookcrossing Olympics.

Released by Team Valhalla in the event Shot Put -"Throw a wishlist book at another Olympic player (not on your team)."

I do have to say I'm amused by the fact that it was this particular book I found in someones wishlist and could enter in the BC Olympics challange.
The author of the book - Heinrich Harrer - has actually participated in the real Olympic games. He did so in the winter Olympic games of 1936 as a member of the Austrian ski team. :-)

Journal Entry 5 by saskiasosmile at Whitby, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Thanks very much, team Valhalla and especially Nordpirat!
It's great to have this book now, which I have been wishing for!
Nice that you have picked me for this challenge, out of all the participating BC Olympics team members!

My team Yorkshire has nearly planned our Shotput action too.

have a great summer, and enjoy the BC Olympics!