corner corner The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas

The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas
by John Boyne | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingjax987654321wing of Ealing, Greater London United Kingdom on 9/2/2012

status (set by Winterbirth): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingjax987654321wing from Ealing, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, September 02, 2012

I saw this in a charity shop and thought it would be a good book to read.

Journal Entry 2 by wingjax987654321wing at Ealing, Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 12, 2012

This is an excellent book, at first it is an easy read, almost like a childrens book, however it gets darker and darker and the ending was very unexpected. I have been to autzvitz, (or however it is spelt) and the only criticism the lack of mention of the coldness there, I went around the camp in early jan and it was about minus 15. However, this book introduces issues in a way that is easily understood.

Journal Entry 3 by wingjax987654321wing at Ealing, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, September 14, 2012

I'm making this into a ring/ray (probably ray)

List so far:-
Greenbadger - UK - (completed Oct 2012)
rodespringbal - EU (completed)
Blue_berry - UK - (completed)
carelaisa - Canada - (completed)
AlterEgoZoe - USA - (completed))
Agrace - USA - (completed)
hyphen8 - USA - (completed)
LittleBoxes - Canada - (completed)
Joan13 - USA - (Completed)
elpis - Greece - Post Europe (completed)
alexiapapa - Greece - (Completed)
GronnLivsstil - Norway - (Completed)
Foxy737 - UK - Post UK - Skipped
Jax987654321 - HOME

Journal Entry 4 by wingjax987654321wing at Ealing, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, September 23, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (9/24/2012 UTC) at Ealing, Greater London United Kingdom

on its way to the first participant in a book ring/ray (I will decide if I want it back later!)

Journal Entry 5 by winggreenbadgerwing at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Friday, September 28, 2012

Sent to me in a book ray. Thank you!

When Bruno is nine years old his family leaves Berlin to move to Out-With. He has to leave behind his life there, the busy city, his best friends and his grandparents. Eventually though he makes a new friend on the other side of the fence.

This is written like a children's book but I think children would need some understanding of the events of WWII to understand what is really going on. However it's well written and a good read though quite distressing in places, and the ending is both unexpected and very upsetting.

Journal Entry 6 by winggreenbadgerwing at Kings Langley, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Friday, October 05, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (10/5/2012 UTC) at Kings Langley, Hertfordshire United Kingdom

Sent to rodespringbal who is next in the ray. Enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 7 by wingrodespringbalwing at Moerbeke-Waas, Oost-Vlaanderen / Flandre Orientale Belgium on Saturday, October 20, 2012

after a week full of stress... greenbadger and I were waiting and waiting... I went to the postoffice this morning and there he was! So happy it made it save and sound. And yes the book was little enough to go true my mailbox BUT my postmen is a little boy himself and after I complained once that he should be more carefull with the BC-books, he drops my packages of at the postoffice for me. All good now :-)

Journal Entry 8 by wingrodespringbalwing at Moerbeke-Waas, Oost-Vlaanderen / Flandre Orientale Belgium on Sunday, November 18, 2012

Almost ready, will send this book to the next reader the first week of december :-)

Journal Entry 9 by Blue_berry at Croydon, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, January 03, 2013

Received as a part of bookring, thank you!

****************

This was a quick read. It was absorbing and profound, the fact that the story is told from a child's perspective does not make this a children's book, as it is way too disturbing. I have seen the film as well, but the book affected me more, as always.

I have sent a PM to the next one on the list and will be sending forward as soon as I have the address.

Journal Entry 10 by Blue_berry at London, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, February 04, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (2/4/2013 UTC) at London, Greater London United Kingdom

Sending to the next reader in the bookray, enjoy!

Journal Entry 11 by wingcarelaisawing at Québec, Québec Canada on Saturday, February 09, 2013

Got it yesterday!

I have a few rays to read (why do they always arrived all within a few weeks of each other!!!) but I should get to it quickly.

Thanks for sharing the book with us!

Journal Entry 12 by wingcarelaisawing at Québec, Québec Canada on Sunday, February 17, 2013

A touching story, though it took a while to get into the heart of it. The first part was spent following Bruno and seeing how he didn’t like at first the move from Berlin to an isolated area. Then, we get to meet the other boy and see how their friendship evolves. It’s easy to get where Bruno is though he never says – actually, he kind of pronounce it incorrectly but we can guess where he is and what his father does… Overall, it’s well written and though it was described as a book for children and teens, it’s actually for everyone. A book that must be read, in my opinion.

I'll pm the next reader and hopefully get the book mailed on pay-check day!

EDIT: the book is now in the mail, as of Feb 27th!

Journal Entry 13 by AlterEgoZoe at Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania USA on Monday, March 04, 2013

Received today-will put at the top of my TBR!

Journal Entry 14 by AlterEgoZoe at Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania USA on Thursday, March 14, 2013

Overall it was an intersting read-I had expected Bruno to meet Shmuel earlier in the book than he did and I had difficulty reading it for more than a few chapters at a time.

Will pm Agrace.

Journal Entry 15 by AlterEgoZoe at Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania USA on Monday, March 25, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (3/25/2013 UTC) at Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania USA

Sorry it took me so long to mail! It's in the mail today to Agrace.

Journal Entry 16 by Agrace at Frisco, Texas USA on Saturday, March 30, 2013

so happy to see this with the mail today!

Journal Entry 17 by Agrace at Frisco, Texas USA on Tuesday, April 02, 2013

so, not exactly the book to read over the Easter weekend, but I'm glad I did. I love that it was written within the eight year-old's perspective. Among other things, it makes you think about what we choose to not share with our children and if it is helping them or hurting them. This story will stay with me for a long time as the book travels to the next member.

Journal Entry 18 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Tuesday, April 09, 2013

Arrived today (April 8). I have one book in front of it, but I'll get to this one as soon as I can.

Thanks for including me!

Journal Entry 19 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Saturday, May 11, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (5/6/2013 UTC) at Honolulu, Hawaii USA

Ouch...this sweet story has teeth! I had my suspicions about the way the story would turn out, and I wasn't wrong. :(

The main characters may be children, but I think it's something adults should read too. Thanks for sharing this.

Mailed to Canada on May 6.

Here's another copy on my shelf.

Journal Entry 20 by LittleBoxes at Orangeville, Ontario Canada on Thursday, May 16, 2013

Yay! I got it yesterday(May 15th), already a few chapters in, so I predict I'll be done by the end of this weekend.

Journal Entry 21 by LittleBoxes at Orangeville, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, May 22, 2013

I think I may have hyped this book up in my head, as I was expecting more about the boys than what was given. I agree with another poster who said they expected the boys to meet sooner, I assumed the book was about them entirely. I was sorely mistaken, as I learned a lot more than what I thought I was getting myself into. Very good book.

Sent this out today,(Wednesday May 22) as Monday was a statutory holiday, and Tuesday we had a tornado warning. On it's way to Joan13

Journal Entry 22 by joan13 at Lynnwood, Washington USA on Thursday, May 30, 2013

The book arrived in today's mail from LittleBoxes of Ontario, Canada. I have it now, in the USA, just a few miles north of Seattle, Washington. As soon as I read my current Book Club selection for this month, I will read this one and try to get it on the way to the next reader in this bookray/ring. Thanks so much for sharing this book and including me in your bookray/ring.

Updated 05/31/13: Ok. I've finished the book now. I'm just waiting to hear back via PM from the person named below me on the list with a mailing address, so I can send it on to the next reader.

Journal Entry 23 by joan13 at Lynnwood, Washington USA on Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (6/18/2013 UTC) at Lynnwood, Washington USA

Releasing this book by International Mail to elpis in Greece. It was a sad but enjoyable and very quick read. I am thankful to have been a part of this bookray. Happy Reading elpis! Bon Voyage, little book! Enjoy your travels and future readers.... GronnLivsstil asked to be skipped at present, but added back in later on the bookray list.

Journal Entry 24 by elpis at Larisa, Larisa Greece on Friday, July 05, 2013

arrived safe and sound! although i won't be starting it soon as i'm in the middle of an other bookring. It will be my company during my holidays on a Greek beach! :)

Journal Entry 25 by elpis at Larisa, Larisa Greece on Thursday, August 01, 2013

At first I was annoyed by the naive way of storytelling but later on i understood that this was the story of Auschwitz "presented" by two young boys and their different way of seeing things and History. Simple writing not anything special.
I have already contacted the next person in the ring and wait for her answer to hand her the book.
thanks jax987654321

edit: it was given to alexiapap on 12/8

Journal Entry 26 by alexiapapa at Larisa, Larisa Greece on Tuesday, August 20, 2013

It was given by me by Elpis on 12/8. It will be read during the last week of summer!

Journal Entry 27 by alexiapapa at Larisa, Larisa Greece on Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (5/25/2014 UTC) at Larisa, Larisa Greece

I have seen the movie, so I knew the story.I enjoyed also reading it and the story goes on smoothly without difficulties.
Well, I seem to have kept the book a long time (unintentionally), it was in a pile and I have forgotten about it, sorry! :/ Sent to the next person in the ray. Enjoy :)

Journal Entry 28 by GronnLivsstil at Bryne, Rogaland fylke Norway on Monday, June 02, 2014

Got it in the mail today and will read it as soon as possible.

Journal Entry 29 by GronnLivsstil at Bryne, Rogaland fylke Norway on Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Read the book, but sadly struggled reading it because of some repetitive phrases, among other issues. I like the story and the idea though.

I've PM'ed the next in line, so hopefully it will be on the move soon.

Journal Entry 30 by GronnLivsstil at Bryne, Rogaland fylke Norway on Thursday, August 07, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (8/7/2014 UTC) at Bryne, Rogaland fylke Norway

It's going back to the host, as the last one in line wanted to be skipped.

Journal Entry 31 by wingjax987654321wing at Ealing, Greater London United Kingdom on Saturday, August 30, 2014

This has returned home. In remarkably good condition considering its long journey. I think I will give this to a friend who will enjoy it

Journal Entry 32 by wingjax987654321wing at Ealing, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, September 22, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (9/22/2014 UTC) at Ealing, Greater London United Kingdom

added to another ring participants book. I hope she likes it.

Journal Entry 33 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, September 25, 2014

Excellent! I've meant to read this for a while. Like all good bookcrossing books it has not arrived on its own - 3 arrived today!

Journal Entry 34 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, June 26, 2015

Although this is simply written because it is told from the perspective of a 9 year old boy, I don't think this is a children's book. You need to know far more of the history than I think a child would know and the ending would take a bit of explanation. Not that I'm saying children shouldn't be told what happened. Even I, and you'll understand how stupid I felt afterwards, took a while to realise who The Fury was and why their house was called Out-With. I know the history, I've seen the film but I was still hoping it had a different ending.

Journal Entry 35 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Hinckley, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Thursday, July 23, 2015

Released 2 yrs ago (7/25/2015 UTC) at Hinckley, Leicestershire United Kingdom

Putting this in the "Authors starting with B" bookring.

Journal Entry 36 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Hinckley, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Sunday, July 26, 2015

Released 2 yrs ago (7/27/2015 UTC) at Hinckley, Leicestershire United Kingdom

It's off in the Authors starting with 'B' roundabout.

Journal Entry 37 by Winterbirth at Newtownabbey, Co. Antrim United Kingdom on Monday, August 17, 2015

Caught as part of the Bookring with books from an author who's name starts with B.

Journal Entry 38 by Winterbirth at Bulletproof Burgers in Belfast, Co. Antrim United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (7/19/2016 UTC) at Bulletproof Burgers in Belfast, Co. Antrim United Kingdom

Releasing at the BookCrossers NI July meetup.