corner corner Jane and the Unpleasantness at Scargrave Manor: Being the First Jane Austen Mystery (Jane Austen Mysteries)

Journal Entry 1 by wingquietorchidwing from Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Sunday, August 19, 2012

The only Jane Austen mystery series worth reading. You can just picture Jane, as an impoverished gentlewoman of a certain age, receiving invitations to other genteel society houses and uncovering trouble. Quietly, with a wicked sense of humor, and a keenly observant mind.

Journal Entry 2 by wingquietorchidwing at Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Sunday, August 19, 2012

Released 1 yr ago (8/19/2012 UTC) at Saint Paul, Minnesota USA

Gave to my favorite fellow Austinophile at meet-up.

Welcome to Bookcrossing, where Books roam freely! I hope you enjoy the book, and leave a journal entry so I can see where the book ended up. You can remain anonymous if you'd like, or join and follow the book's travels throughout the world! If you join, please mention me, quietorchid, or any other journaller as the referring member. The site is free, secure, and non-spamming. Take a look around, and then go read!

Journal Entry 3 by wingJudySlump612wing at Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Sunday, August 19, 2012

Generously shared at the monthly Twin Cities meetup

Journal Entry 4 by wingJudySlump612wing at Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Saturday, December 28, 2013

Jane Austen seems to be enjoying a peak of popularity lately, possibly because of the bicentennial of her books' publication. While I'm happy to think of new readers discovering the pleasures of her matchless prose, the slight downside is that lesser authors rush to cash in on the franchise.

Luckily, this book is on a substantially higher level than most of the hangers-on. I don't read mysteries all that much, but I agree with quietorchid that it's the only series worth reading. The language is flawlessly adapted from Austen's style, and the footnotes on, for instance, proper nomenclature within the British nobility, were helpful and fun. The mystery was well plotted and firmly based on the economic and social realities of Austen's time. If you like mysteries, OR if you like Austen, you'll be happy with this book. If both of those clauses apply to you, well, this is really your lucky day!

But that's just one person's opinion. Future readers, what do YOU think of this book?

Journal Entry 5 by wingJudySlump612wing at Cafe Diem, Main St. downtown in Ames, Iowa USA on Saturday, December 28, 2013

Released 7 mos ago (12/27/2013 UTC) at Cafe Diem, Main St. downtown in Ames, Iowa USA

On bookshelf just inside entrance