corner corner A Duty to the Dead: A Bess Crawford Mystery

A Duty to the Dead: A Bess Crawford Mystery
by Charles Todd | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by Villette of Victoria, British Columbia Canada on Tuesday, August 14, 2012

status (set by whyvon): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by Villette from Victoria, British Columbia Canada on Tuesday, August 14, 2012

This is the first book in this series by Charles Todd that I have read and I found it a very enjoyable light read. The authors set their mysteries in WW1 England and in the years following the war. Most of their books feature a shell shocked war vet who is now a detective with the London Metropolitan Police, but this one has a nurse as the main character and an unusual mystery to solve.

Journal Entry 2 by Villette at Victoria, British Columbia Canada on Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Released 1 yr ago (8/14/2012 UTC) at Victoria, British Columbia Canada

This book is travelling to England as part of a summer surprise parcel.

Journal Entry 3 by dirtmother at Matlock, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Saturday, October 06, 2012

I'd heard about this book which sounds right up my street.

Journal Entry 4 by dirtmother at Matlock, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 31, 2012

I found this a compelling story - to the extent that I found myself trying to read it as a passenger in a moving car despite knowing perfectly well that this is a recipe for travel sickness.

We follow Bess Crawford as her involvement in seeing through a promise made to a dying man becomes steadily more and more urgent moving from a long delay in doing anything at all to being determined to find out what really happened at whatever cost to her fondly held images.

I would have liked more characterisation of the dead Arthur's brothers Jonathan - the soldier with the ugly facial wound, and Timothy, unable to enlist due to a birth deformity some called ugly.

There were a whole set of complex motivations which I felt enhanced rather than detracted from the main story - the village doctor and vicar, the mother-in-law of the shell-shocked soldier. It was also interesting to see how Bess's nursing skills allowed her access to more information and perspectives.

Journal Entry 5 by dirtmother at Green Way Cafe OBCZ in Matlock, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 08, 2013

Released 11 mos ago (5/8/2013 UTC) at Green Way Cafe OBCZ in Matlock, Derbyshire United Kingdom

In case Villette doesn't make it here herself

Journal Entry 6 by whyvon at Matlock, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Thursday, September 26, 2013

Found in the Green Way Cafe, Matlock. Waiting on my pile of books waiting to be read.