corner corner Little Bee: A Novel

Little Bee: A Novel
by Chris Cleave | Literature & Fiction
Registered by therubycanary of Portland, Maine USA on Tuesday, August 07, 2012

status (set by itpdx): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by therubycanary from Portland, Maine USA on Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Based on the cover and jacket of this book, there is absolutely no way to tell what the book is about. It's just a rash of praise for the book. Although I've heard it's good, I doubt it's going to live up the hype.

Addresses issues of the British mental health system, immigration from African countries, and having to face the consequences of a choice made in the past.

Journal Entry 2 by therubycanary at Portland, Maine USA on Wednesday, March 06, 2013

Sent to Itdpx as a wishlist item from GateGypsy.

This was a fantastic book that really delved into the issues that refugees face, and what happens at detention centers. It also looks at what happens in a global culture when people from a comfortable society experience first hand what is happening in other parts of the world, and what they choose to do about it.

There was one scene that particularly stood out to me regarding grief. One character is feeling guilty for not crying after a death, and I really related to that passage.

Journal Entry 3 by wingitpdxwing at Portland, Oregon USA on Friday, March 15, 2013

What a wonderful surprise :) I had regretted that this wish list book slipped through my fingers in the Passport to the World VBB because I had books to replace. I was very puzzled when it arrived because I was not expecting a book from rubycanary. Thank you, Gate Gypsy for passing it on to me.