corner corner Last of the Line

Last of the Line
by John MacKay | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Mahinaarangi of Waihi, Waikato-Coromandel New Zealand on Tuesday, August 07, 2012

status (set by carsellular): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by Mahinaarangi from Waihi, Waikato-Coromandel New Zealand on Tuesday, August 07, 2012

I bought this on a wet day in Inverness, Scotland. I was only sheltering in a second-hand bookshop. I wasn't going to buy anything!!
I really enjoyed this book, and am glad I found it.
"The call came from a place far away where the dark was deep and the only sound was the fading breath of a woman on the edge of eternity."

Journal Entry 2 by Mahinaarangi at Waihi, Waikato-Coromandel New Zealand on Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Released 1 yr ago (8/7/2012 UTC) at Waihi, Waikato-Coromandel New Zealand

Passing on to DiscoveryLover who is working in my wee town for a couple of days.
Enjoy.

Journal Entry 3 by wingdiscoveryloverwing at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Wednesday, August 08, 2012

Got this from Mahinaarangi today at school :D

Journal Entry 4 by wingdiscoveryloverwing at Tirau, Waikato-Coromandel New Zealand on Saturday, August 11, 2012

I really enjoyed this! I wasn't very sure I was going to like the main character for a while, but there was enough there that I hoped he was going to change and be a better person, and I'm glad I persevered! I did guess bits of the ending before they were revealed but it was still nice to be proved right!

I've been asked to send this off to Otakuu next, so that's where it will be heading (although it may have to wait a few days/a week).

Thanks again Ma for giving this to me!

Journal Entry 5 by wingdiscoveryloverwing at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Friday, October 12, 2012

Released 1 yr ago (10/12/2012 UTC) at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand

Sending to Otakuu. Hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 6 by Otakuu at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Tuesday, October 16, 2012

From Mahinaarangi via discoverylover. Love you two ladies

Journal Entry 7 by Otakuu at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Tuesday, November 20, 2012

I had mixed feelings about this story both while I was reading and after I had finished. It wasn't bad, there was just something that didn't really pull the plot quite together. That said, it wasn't an unpleasant story and it did give me a glimpse of one of the Scottish Isles

Journal Entry 8 by Otakuu at --- wild released somewhere in Christchurch in Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Sunday, November 25, 2012

Released 1 yr ago (11/25/2012 UTC) at --- wild released somewhere in Christchurch in Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand

A special release in memory of Tom-m, a wonderful BookCrosser who died a month ago today.

If this is the first BookCrossing book you have ever found, Haere Mai - Welcome.
I hope you join me in this wonderful world

Journal Entry 9 by carsellular at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Monday, December 03, 2012

Hi, I found this book not too long ago but have procrastinated about posting so until now, simply because I don't know what to say with the honour I've been given in receiving the book (albeit by chance). But here goes.

Thank you for giving me a chance to become part of the community. My day wasn't going all too well for various reasons, but finding the book and this group of people behind it made everything much better, and I am so happy to have learnt of this site.

I will be reading the book over this week. I look forward to posting my thoughts :)

Journal Entry 10 by carsellular at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Thursday, January 10, 2013

Finished the book a while ago, but didn't have time to write about it until now.

I thought the surprise twist at the ending wasn't that necessary, like the book was trying to pull itself in two directions - one of a mystery novel with a case to be solved, and one an emotional and philosophical novel about coping with loss and regret - but overall both sides had some interesting moments. It was very interesting to look at how the protagonist's character progressed especially. I feel a bit sorry for the girlfriend though.

The decay of the society was another interesting point that was touched on. I really like how subtly it was dealt with but yet such a strong feature.

Journal Entry 11 by carsellular at -- Somewhere in London in -- somewhere in Greater London --, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, January 13, 2013

Released 1 yr ago (1/13/2013 UTC) at -- Somewhere in London in -- somewhere in Greater London --, Greater London United Kingdom

Kept on missing the opportunity in both New York and England to release the book myself so handed it to a friend in London who will leave it somewhere.