corner corner The Ponds of Kalambayi

The Ponds of Kalambayi
by Mike Tidwell | Nonfiction
Registered by shellyann of Rifle, Colorado USA on Monday, July 30, 2012

status (set by book-a-neer): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by shellyann from Rifle, Colorado USA on Monday, July 30, 2012

My mom got this for me. Okay read but time to send it out again.

amazon.com:
As a Peace Corp volunteer, Mr. Tidwell spent two years in the grasslands of south central Zaire trying to teach the benefits of fish farming in some of the poorest villages on the continent. His task was not easy. One villager was convinced that fish would stock the ponds naturally, since they come to earth in raindrops. Others suspected that the ponds were just another way for whites to exploit black labor. When he finally made headway, the fish farmers gave away nearly half their harvest to relatives, and Tidwell learned one of many powerful lessons: tradition takes precedence over profits. While the tragic poverty and disease faced by the villagers was daunting, Tidwell found that their adherence to heritage and their celebration of tiny triumphs and daily satisfactions revealed a life richer than he had ever known.

Journal Entry 2 by shellyann at Rifle, Colorado USA on Monday, July 30, 2012

Released 1 yr ago (7/30/2012 UTC) at Rifle, Colorado USA

heading over to Mom's - gonna put in a bookbox

Journal Entry 3 by angelface46 at Montrose, Colorado USA on Monday, July 30, 2012

My daughter brought me this one back. Gonna put in ABC box

Journal Entry 4 by angelface46 at Montrose, Colorado USA on Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Released 1 yr ago (7/31/2012 UTC) at Montrose, Colorado USA

abc box

Journal Entry 5 by angelface46 at Montrose, Colorado USA on Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Released 1 yr ago (7/31/2012 UTC) at Montrose, Colorado USA

abc box

Journal Entry 6 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Stories from the Peace Corp are usually interesting so I took this from the ABC Book Box.

Journal Entry 7 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Saturday, May 11, 2013

I've read Mike Tidwell before and like what I read. This book, probably his first, is no exception. Although written in a simple way the story he tells of his time in the Peace Corp posted in Kalambayi, Zaire is extremely moving. He is easy to relate to as he tells of his hopes, struggles, friendships, successes, failures and sorrows. I have seen this in Peace Corp stories before, the terrible struggle it is to be in a land of extreme poverty and corruption and suffering, to connect deeply with the people, and to know that you are going home and for them that is home. Mike does a lot of good but it is a miniscule drop in an enormous world of suffering. He is affected, physically and emotionally, very deeply affected. For a person like me, just living a middle class life in America, the Peace Corp volunteers are heroes. Mike Tidwell is high on my persons to be admired list.

Journal Entry 8 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Friday, May 24, 2013

Released 1 yr ago (5/24/2013 UTC) at Seattle, Washington USA

Chosen from the 1st sentence VBB and mailed today.

Journal Entry 9 by book-a-neer at Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Wednesday, June 05, 2013

Thanks for sending this. Sounds interesting. Will be good for my 666 challenge.