corner corner Lucky Jim

Lucky Jim
by Kingsley Amis | Literature & Fiction
Registered by winggreenbadgerwing of St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on 7/19/2012

status (set by BooksandMusic): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by winggreenbadgerwing from St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Thursday, July 19, 2012

Part of my challenge to release some of my favourite books ever.

Dixon has a job in an academic department he doesn't fit into, teaching a subject he despises, and is in an accidental relationship he can't get out of with the miserable Margaret. His disastrous progress makes me laugh out loud every time I read and re-read this brilliant book.

Journal Entry 2 by winggreenbadgerwing at VBB, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (7/31/2012 UTC) at VBB, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases

Sent to oliviapoolside as part of International VBB. Enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 3 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Wednesday, August 08, 2012

Thank you for sending me this book from the Int VBB. I enjoyed your review and picked the book based on how much you enjoyed it. I am looking forward to it!

Journal Entry 4 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Sunday, February 16, 2014

I found it farcical but not very funny. It was a little difficult to understand at first but by the time of the arty party given by Dixon's boss, the Professor of History, I was pretty clued in. It may be that I didn't relate that well as I am not British, I am not involved in academic life nor is it the 1950's.
Just some thoughts: I couldn't believe how much everyone drank and smoked, it was so incredible. People did drink and smoke more in the 1950's, but still.
Funny scenes: How Dixon tried to fix his bedding at the Welch household after he burned it, smoking.
How Dixon tried to fake sing during the madrigals at the party.
How Dixon steals the taxi and runs off with Christine from the dance.
His speech on Merrie Old England. He was falling down drunk but I guess it would not have been the speech it was without that.
My favorite character besides Dixon was Atkinson.
I couldn't believe how much it took for Dixon to finally stop feeling guilty about Margaret and give her a pass. She was a character to hate and it was bizarre to me that Dixon couldn't see past all her manipulations, but I guess that was part of the farce.
Really glad that it ended as it did, sweet, he walks away with it all.

Journal Entry 5 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Sunday, March 16, 2014

I am going to be listing this in bookstogives lit/fic VBB.

Journal Entry 6 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Tuesday, July 01, 2014

This was not chosen in the lit/fic VBB so I am making it AVL

Journal Entry 7 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Little Free Library in Seattle, Washington USA on Monday, November 17, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (11/16/2014 UTC) at Little Free Library in Seattle, Washington USA

Little Free Library on 37th NE in Seattle