corner corner Welcome to Bordertown

Welcome to Bordertown
by Author unknown | Science Fiction & Fantasy
Registered by DendriticTrees of Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, July 14, 2012

status (set by Eri-Cherry): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by DendriticTrees from Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, July 14, 2012

This is the newest of the books in the Bordertown series and a new generation of misfits, dreamers and general oddities are flocking to Bordertown, the city which divides the mundane world from magical elf-land. Like its motley inhabitants Bordertown is neither one thing or another, its a mix of science and magic and neither works quite right.

I love it and I love this series. All the stories in the series focus heavily on the theme of growing up but rather than only focusing on growing in the coming-of-age sense they also discuss the less glamorous elements of growing up like taking responsibility for yourself and making choices and giving up on things that just won't work. Its also incredibly hopeful. The setting is dystopian (the majority of the stories take place in what is essentially a slum populated predominantly by teenage runaways) but despite that the characters manage to find friends and families and set up their lives and look after each other.

This book of short stories is essentially stand alone, but one story "The Sages of Elsewhere" will be infinitely better if you first read the novels Elsewhere and Never Never (both by Will Shetterly) which are the two of the novels in this series still in print and are both amazing (go buy them quick, this book will wait and it helps keep them in print for everyone else). My favourite story was Shannon's Law.

If you've found this book in the wild somewhere check out the Calgary Bookcrossing Group on Facebook, they also meet on the second Saturday of the Month at the Joshua Tree, they're good fun, will deluge you in great books and may have copies of Elsewhere and Never Never hanging around for you to read.

Journal Entry 2 by DendriticTrees at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, July 14, 2012

Released 1 yr ago (7/14/2012 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taken to Christmas in July at the Joshua Tree. I hope you guys like it.

Journal Entry 3 by wingrureadingwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, July 15, 2012

I enjoy reading Terri Windling's blog and know of the Bordertown books so now I have an opportunity to read them. Thanks DendriticTrees.

Journal Entry 4 by wingrureadingwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, March 18, 2013

The stories I enjoyed were Shannon's Law by Cory Doctorow, Sages of Elsewhere by Will Shetterly and the best was A Tangle of Green Men by Charles de LInt. I was disappointed by the story by Holly Black and Cassandra Clare; I had high expectations because I like their books.

Journal Entry 5 by wingrureadingwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, April 13, 2013

Released 1 yr ago (4/13/2013 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Took the book to the Calgary BC Meetup at the Joshua Tree Cafe today.

Journal Entry 6 by Eri-Cherry at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, April 13, 2013

Grabbed at get together