corner corner Dead End Deal

Dead End Deal
by Allen Wyler | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by cestmoi of Hamilton, Ontario Canada on 7/12/2012

status (set by cestmoi): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by cestmoi from Hamilton, Ontario Canada on Thursday, July 12, 2012

I received an Advance Reading Copy from the publisher for review.

Journal Entry 2 by cestmoi at Hamilton, Ontario Canada on Monday, July 16, 2012

Dead End Deal is a very fast-paced mystery/thriller set around a doctor doing research to find a cure for Alzheimer’s. Jon Ritter (throughout the novel I pictured John Ritter as Jack Tripper as the character!) is a doctor who thinks he’s found a cure for Alzheimer’s using transplanted stem cells. Circumstances result in the loss of his funding and prevent Jon from doing human trials in the USA so he takes his project and trials to Korea to work in secret, hoping the success of the trials will allow him to come back to the USA and get further funding and, ultimately, find a cure for Alzheimer’s.

The novel involves Ritter running for his life from paid hit men, big name pharmaceutical companies and even his own past. Jon is not only a brilliant researcher and surgeon, but a very resourceful man who thinks quickly on his feet and has to change his plans constantly to stay one step ahead of his pursuers.

The action starts right from the first page when his colleague is gunned down in front of him and never ends until the very last page.

The story takes place in the USA, Korea and even our own RCMP get a short starring role – I won’t tell you if they get their man – you’ll have to read it to see!

I did enjoy this novel and although I was worried it would be too science-y and full of medical jargon, it isn’t and is easy to understand those sections. It’s also a fascinating look at the science of stem cell research and the applications.

The author, Allen Wyler, is a neurosurgeon and uses his expertise to ensure his novels are factual and relevant. He has two previous novels Dead Head and Deadly Errors as well as another new novel just released, Dead Ringer.