corner corner Hiroshima

Hiroshima
by John Hersey | Nonfiction
Registered by Mariabokmal of Malmö, Skåne Sweden on 7/4/2012

status (set by Edwardstreet): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by Mariabokmal from Malmö, Skåne Sweden on Wednesday, July 04, 2012

Back side text:
When the first atomic bomb was dropped on Hiroshima in August 1945, killing 10 000 men, women and children, a new era in history opened.
Only one book even begins to do justice to the unparalleled tragedy of a city distriyed, John Hersey's unforgetable Hiroshima. Written a merer year after the disaster, it offers a heart-rending account of six men and women who survived despite all odds.
Forty years later, John Hersey returned to Hiroshima to dicover how the same six people had struggled to cope with catastrpohe and with often crippling disease. His long new chapter, which also considers the dramatic prolifertion of nuclear weaponry since the war, provides a devastating picture of the long-term effects of one very small bomb.

Journal Entry 2 by Mariabokmal at by post, A little surprise! -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, July 07, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (7/5/2012 UTC) at by post, A little surprise! -- Controlled Releases

Found on a wishlist and sent almost across the world as turn 8 in the Bookcrossing monopoly game (http://bcmonopoly.blogspot.co.uk/) with greeting from team Racecar!

Journal Entry 3 by kiwiinengland at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Friday, July 13, 2012

Wow, a bright green envelope hopped into my letter box. How exciting, I thought.

And then imagine my delight to see that I have been sent a wishlist book, thank you so much.

The racecar sweets zipped to my mouth mighty quick. And the scratch and sniff postcard has been admired by others near by.

Thanks for including Team Wolf in your monopoly game, it's much appreciated.

Journal Entry 4 by kiwiinengland at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Sunday, January 20, 2013

The description of what happened during the American nuclear attack on Hiroshima was very descriptive and thought provoking. The Japanese culture which created an immediate feeling of guilt in those people not as badly hurt as others was interesting. The first half of the book, the original story, is something I think more people should read. I understand it is a known school textbook in America, but not one I had heard about in New Zealand or England.

Out of the six people following I thought the cross-section was biased, two Christian leaders (a priest and a minister) seemed too high a percentage of the story for a book set in a country without a Christian base. Perhaps the author's cultural background lead to this, or else these were the people who agreed to tell their story.

The follow up, which traced the lives of the people until their death, was half of the book. I think the impact of their story was slightly diluted by this, as we were not left to imagine life after the bombing but had it laid out. The lack of resources available to the survivors was very sad, the Japanese Government did not want to pay for an American created situation and the Americans used their medical set up to collect data on the survivors and their illnesses rather than provide medical assistance.

Thank you for sending this book to me, team racing car.

Journal Entry 5 by kiwiinengland at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (2/12/2013 UTC) at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand

I plan to pass this on to Sherlockfan, who is attempting to read books set in many different countries.

Journal Entry 6 by Sherlockfan at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Collected at Wellington Bookcrosser's February meet-up at D4.

Thanks very much KiwiInEngland - this will certainly help with the 666 Challenge. Be informative as well.

Journal Entry 7 by Sherlockfan at Upper Hutt, Wellington Province New Zealand on Sunday, February 24, 2013

I've never read anything like this before, partly because I avoid reading about war and this is certainly about war. I'm glad it was not required reading in our school syllabus as I found it extremely depressing - the descriptions of the scenes after the first flash are truly realistic and too easy to picture. Could I have accepted it in my developmental years? Doubt it. The cover design didn't leave much to the imagination and who can forget the classic photo of a naked young girls fleeing from the horror?
I've met remarkably few Japanese people but found the chosen subjects in the book similar in character to those few so I happily accepted them as suitable candidates about whom to tell a good story; they depicted very likeable characters. One would not wish to inflict willingly such appalling human destruction on anybody but if it was the only way to end the war I guess the bomb has to be accepted as a satisfactory method of achieving that result. Did the bomb developers predict such ongoing fall out? Probably not as the books recounts a continuing number of experiments with bombs.
Perhaps I should try to read more about the development process - the science could be fascinating but the human side seems to have been overlooked. Not sure that I could take any more.
Nowadays the constant threat of non-democratic countries developing nuclear capabilities hangs over us all. Lets just hope that stories like this reach the right ears to inject some common sense into warmongers so there is never another similar episode.

Later
Realise that I didn't write a release note for this because I'd spoken to Edwardstreet to see if she wanted this for her 666 reading. I'm not sressing about getting accurate release numbers so that is OK. I'm pleased she has it now.

Journal Entry 8 by wingEdwardstreetwing at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Tuesday, March 12, 2013

TBR as part of the 666 challenge.