corner corner State of Wonder

by Ann Patchett | Literature & Fiction
Registered by miketroll on Monday, July 02, 2012

status (set by Booketta): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by miketroll on Monday, July 02, 2012

Dr Annick Swenson has spent years in the heart of the Amazon basin researching a new fertility drug. Her employers, the pharma company Vogel, are concerned about her long periods of silence and send a lab researcher, Anders Eckman, to find her. A brief letter returns saying that Eckman has died of a fever. His colleague, Dr Marina Singh, a former student of Swenson, picks up the trail.

This novel has elements of Heart of Darkness and The Poisonwood Bible, but the plot is linear and one-paced, lacking the dramatic tension of Mosquito Coast. Still, the detail of life in the Amazon is absorbing and the reader senses some of the longueurs and discomforts of real travel, not mere tourism.

The best drawn characters are not the bland heroine, Marina, but the overbearing Dr Swenson and the resourceful deaf native child, Easter - both brilliantly conceived! The tedious young Australian couple, the Bovenders, are people we all recognize. I was entertained.

Journal Entry 2 by miketroll at Kemi's cafe, Cardiff Bay in Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, July 27, 2012

Released 1 yr ago (7/28/2012 UTC) at Kemi's cafe, Cardiff Bay in Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom

In OBCZ at meetup.

Journal Entry 3 by miketroll at Kemi's cafe, Cardiff Bay in Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, July 27, 2012

In OBCZ at meetup.

Journal Entry 4 by Judio at Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom on Saturday, July 28, 2012

Picked up at Bookcrossing Meetup in Kemi's, Cardiff Bay and TBR.

Journal Entry 5 by Judio at Kemi's Pontcanna (OBCZ) in Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom on Saturday, December 15, 2012

Released 1 yr ago (12/15/2012 UTC) at Kemi's Pontcanna (OBCZ) in Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom

Releasing this book only because I unfortunately suddenly have to get rid of Mt TBR. A pity that I haven't had a chance to read this one as it looks quite good. However, I will have to release it so I hope that whoever picks it up enjoys it.

Journal Entry 6 by Booketta at Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom on Saturday, December 15, 2012

I caught this at a bookcrossing meet up in Kemi's Pontcanna from Judio.