corner corner An Adoration

An Adoration
by Nancy Huston | Literature & Fiction
Registered by geishabird of Toronto, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, June 27, 2012

status (set by AnonymousFinder): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by geishabird from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Sunday, July 01, 2012

In Nancy Huston’s new novel the characters participate in a legal hearing of a highly singular variety, unfolding outside of real time and place. They each give testimony in front of a mysterious magistrate who turns out to be none other than the reader herself or himself, presenting their respective and often contradictory version of the death—and life—of a certain Cosmo. Among the witnesses are a number of dead people, the novelist, a Lebanese cedar, a wisteria, a footbridge, and a gorgeous Algerian knife (probably the murder weapon). Cosmo is the only character whose voice is never heard, but his portrait is gradually sketched out and coloured in by the stories and memories of others in his village.

There's something peculiar and irritating about this book; something that left me bored and cold. It's hard not to draw comparisons between this book and Orhan Pamuk's My Name Is Red, but the latter is a far, far superior piece of writing. Over everything there lies a air of smugness and pretension, which for me at least precluded any real sympathy or connection with any of the characters, who all came across as either shrill, apathetic or egocentric. Maybe that's the point, but I didn't care for it.

(Note to the nice person who found this book and journalled it below: I've read some good reviews for this book, so don't take my word for it - you may like it better than I did...)

Journal Entry 2 by geishabird at AMC Yonge & Dundas in Toronto, Ontario Canada on Sunday, July 01, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (7/1/2012 UTC) at AMC Yonge & Dundas in Toronto, Ontario Canada

Happy Canada Day, and happy reading!

(I usually don't release books inside buildings; hope this doesn't end up in the lost & found -or the garbage.)

Journal Entry 3 by rababhk at Toronto, Ontario Canada on Monday, July 02, 2012

Just started reading the book. Found it at AMC Yonge - Dundas.
Previous reviewer has me cautious but will read it nevertheless.

Journal Entry 4 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Toronto, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Left book at shangrila la hotel, bangkok

Journal Entry 5 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Toronto, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Left book at shangrila la hotel, bangkok