corner corner The Day Of Revolution: Volume 2

The Day Of Revolution: Volume 2
by Mikiyo Tsuda | Graphic Novels
Registered by wingazukiwing of Miami, Florida USA on Tuesday, June 26, 2012

status (set by k00kaburra): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingazukiwing from Miami, Florida USA on Tuesday, June 26, 2012

I picked this up at the library book sale, without really knowing what the plot is about. Usually manga is pretty hard to find in book sale, so when I spot one I just gobble it up. LOL.

Turns out the story is about a high schooler Kei, who one day found out from the doctor that he is genetically speaking, female. After a few month's disappearance, she is re-enrolled back into school as Megumi (the kanji character is the same.) However, her previous guy pals start hitting on her, and she is traumatized by an sexual assault from a male classmate. Megumi's friend and protector Makoto, has a scheme to help her blossom into a true female. (It is hard to tell in English, but I found the drama CD tracks on Youtube, and Megumi speaks in a very masculine manner.)

While the book has a 16+ rating, there is nothing remotely graphically sexual or violent to deserve that. It's more likely because of the theme that the character is an intersex. It reminds me of the novel Middlesex. The story is a good mixture of comedy and realism (though I am no authority to say whether the portrayal of intersex is authentic or not.) At least there is no gag play on the gender issue, and it focuses on the emotions Megumi suffers. Though if she really wants to restart life quietly, I am not sure why she doesn't just enroll into a new school.

I added vol 1 to my wishlist, because I love to read more about those four guys. Curiously, the author in her afterword specified that this volume is to be called The Day of Revolution Continued, as she absolutely do not plan on more volumes about these characters. For her, the story is completed, though I definitely don't mind more volumes, all characters are very interesting and lively and I sure don't mind reading more about them.

Also, it's interesting how the author mentioned that a fellow manga artist and friend, Eiki Eiki, was instrumental in the birth of this volume, as well as helping her draw some scenes. I happened to read one of Eiki Eiki's books a few days ago to put into the same bookbox. Really funny how these two books are linked together.

Journal Entry 2 by wingazukiwing at Manga Boobox in Manga Bookbox, Book Box -- Controlled Releases on Monday, July 02, 2012

Released 1 yr ago (7/2/2012 UTC) at Manga Boobox in Manga Bookbox, Book Box -- Controlled Releases

Putting into AlterEgoZoe's box.

Journal Entry 3 by wingk00kaburrawing at San Jose, California USA on Thursday, September 20, 2012

Keeping this one.