corner corner The Day Of Revolution: Volume 2

The Day Of Revolution: Volume 2
by Mikiyo Tsuda | Graphic Novels
Registered by wingazukiwing of Miami, Florida USA on Tuesday, June 26, 2012

status (set by k00kaburra): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingazukiwing from Miami, Florida USA on Tuesday, June 26, 2012

I picked this up at the library book sale, without really knowing what the plot is about. Usually manga is pretty hard to find in book sale, so when I spot one I just gobble it up. LOL.

Turns out the story is about a high schooler Kei, who one day found out from the doctor that he is genetically speaking, female. After a few month's disappearance, she is re-enrolled back into school as Megumi (the kanji character is the same.) However, her previous guy pals start hitting on her, and she is traumatized by an sexual assault from a male classmate. Megumi's friend and protector Makoto, has a scheme to help her blossom into a true female. (It is hard to tell in English, but I found the drama CD tracks on Youtube, and Megumi speaks in a very masculine manner.)

While the book has a 16+ rating, there is nothing remotely graphically sexual or violent to deserve that. It's more likely because of the theme that the character is an intersex. It reminds me of the novel Middlesex. The story is a good mixture of comedy and realism (though I am no authority to say whether the portrayal of intersex is authentic or not.) At least there is no gag play on the gender issue, and it focuses on the emotions Megumi suffers. Though if she really wants to restart life quietly, I am not sure why she doesn't just enroll into a new school.

I added vol 1 to my wishlist, because I love to read more about those four guys. Curiously, the author in her afterword specified that this volume is to be called The Day of Revolution Continued, as she absolutely do not plan on more volumes about these characters. For her, the story is completed, though I definitely don't mind more volumes, all characters are very interesting and lively and I sure don't mind reading more about them.

Also, it's interesting how the author mentioned that a fellow manga artist and friend, Eiki Eiki, was instrumental in the birth of this volume, as well as helping her draw some scenes. I happened to read one of Eiki Eiki's books a few days ago to put into the same bookbox. Really funny how these two books are linked together.

Journal Entry 2 by wingazukiwing at Manga Boobox in Manga Bookbox, Book Box -- Controlled Releases on Monday, July 02, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (7/2/2012 UTC) at Manga Boobox in Manga Bookbox, Book Box -- Controlled Releases

Putting into AlterEgoZoe's box.

Journal Entry 3 by wingk00kaburrawing at San Jose, California USA on Thursday, September 20, 2012

Keeping this one.

Journal Entry 4 by wingk00kaburrawing at San Jose, California USA on Thursday, June 05, 2014

Read today.

A few months have passed since a classmate nearly raped her, and Megumi is still traumatized. Her former best friends have declared themselves to be her suitors, and they pursue with an eagerness she finds overwhelming and off-putting. In fact, their aggression has more or less turned her off guys completely. Over the summer vacation, she takes to hiding out at her friend Makoto’s house, where she finds a sympathetic ear in Mikoto, a junior high student who is also bullied by his classmates.

Compared to the first volume, this book shows a lot more sympathy toward Megumi’s situation. Before, her new gender was played mostly for laughs, but here she reflects on some of the difficulties she’s encountered and how disturbed she is now that she realizes that her former friends are interested in her sexually.

Her friends. Good grief. So she has these four guy friends who were her pals back when Megumi was still a boy named Kei, and the minute she revealed her new identity they’ve been harassing her constantly to date and marry one of them. It’s disturbing how pushy they are – they show up at her house every day after she’s explicitly stated she doesn’t want to see them, they stalk her when she goes on out shopping with another guy, and in the last story, set a few years later when Megumi is a senior in high school, they come back from college to harass a boy who dared to hit on her. It’s ridiculous. This isn’t romantic or sweet – they’re stalkers and they’re sexually harassing Megumi! I guess I’m taking the story far more seriously than the reader is meant to do, but it’s disturbing behavior and it bothers me.

Yet in spite of their bad decisions, this book is an improvement over the first volume. Megumi grows as a person and truly settles into her new life as a young woman, and by the end of the book she’s sufficiently recovered from her trauma that she found a guy to love.

Journal Entry 5 by wingk00kaburrawing at -- Internet, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Thursday, July 17, 2014

Released 4 mos ago (7/17/2014 UTC) at -- Internet, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

sent to a swapper in Tampa, FL!

(Sending the book back to its home state. Cool! Also a bit amusing because the person who requested Vol. 1 from me is also Florida-based.)