corner corner The Other Hand (Flipback Edition)

The Other Hand (Flipback Edition)
by Chris Cleave | Literature & Fiction
Registered by roelina of Grandchester, Queensland Australia on Monday, June 25, 2012

status (set by NikkiKalkman): available

Journal Entry 1 by roelina from Grandchester, Queensland Australia on Monday, June 25, 2012

A bit of a fizzer really - the plot is turgid, particularly in the last two chapters where improbability reaches an all-time high, and the British characters are in the main, pretty unattractive. The basic premise- that dreadful things can happen to immigrants- is feasible and worth thinking about.

Journal Entry 2 by roelina at Griffith University - Queensland Conservatorium in Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (6/27/2012 UTC) at Griffith University - Queensland Conservatorium in Brisbane, Queensland Australia

Brisbane Chorale Rehearsal

Journal Entry 3 by NikkiKalkman at Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Thursday, June 28, 2012

Just found it! About to start reading as soon as I finish work! So excited, I have always wanted to find one of these!

Journal Entry 4 by NikkiKalkman at Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Friday, July 20, 2012

Although the story reads like a typical refugee literature both protagonist have fairly genuine and engaging voices which is particularly interesting for a male writing from two female points of view of different ages. Some of the imaginary is incredible and Chris Cleave is due apt credit for fine craft of a metaphor. The last two chapters are heartwarming, however unlikely. All and I all I enjoyed the read and it has peaked my interested in the topic of asylum seekers.