corner corner Legacy

Legacy
by James A. Michener | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Bloedengel of Turnhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Monday, June 18, 2012

status (set by bookguide): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by Bloedengel from Turnhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Monday, June 18, 2012

To the finder of this book:
Hello and congratulations! You have not only found yourself a good book, but a whole community of booklovers dedicated to sharing books with each other and the world. I hope you'll stick around a bit and get to know BookCrossing --maybe even make a journal entry on this book. You may choose to remain anonymous or to join (its free!)

Journal Entry 2 by bookguide at Castricum, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Monday, July 02, 2012

Taken from the book table during the sunny and windy meeting at Strand10 in Castricum. I read James Michener's 'Chesapeake' years ago, and thought it was absolutely brilliant. The trouble with his books are, they're so thick, so they often get pushed to one side in favour of something else. I was considering taking 'Centennial' with me on holiday to America, which is 1100 pages, but if I don't have enough room or weight allowance, this will make a perfect substitute, only 158 pages!

Journal Entry 3 by bookguide at Wijchen, Gelderland Netherlands on Thursday, August 09, 2012

I started to read 'Centennial' on holiday, but realised that if I wanted to release a couple of books while I was travelling, I would have to read some shorter books, so I put the weighty tome to one side and started 'Legacy' instead. It was an interesting way of presenting the discussions surrounding the discussions of the American government during the framing of the Constitution, and continuing into the 20th century. The arguments are presented by a review of the various Starr family members over the centuries, taking part and commenting on American law. There were several things which particularly struck me. The things I found most interesting were some of the facts about the development of civil rights. When the Constitution was first drafted, the Northern delegates were aware that slavery was intolerable, but in order to reach an agreement with the Southern states, which considered it impossible to farm tobacco and cotton without slaves, they made compromises. "When they were required to put their conclusions in writing, all of them, North and South alike, shied away from placing the word slave in what they were beginning to consider a sacred document.... it would be totally improper to defile a document dedicated to freedom with a word which demonstrated that a large proportion of the persons covered were not free." Equally, women were not given the vote without a struggle, personified in the life of Emily Starr. Finally, Norman Starr's mother fought for reform of the allocation of power between city and country, where the power was disproportionately biased in favour of those living in the country, rather than depending on the number of voters. This was fascinating, but I didn't really understand Norman's final revelation, so that fell rather flat. Then, at the end, the Constition and its amendments were difficult to plough through, but interesting nevertheless.

Journal Entry 4 by bookguide at Old Fort Erie Museum in Fort Erie, Ontario Canada on Friday, August 10, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (8/10/2012 UTC) at Old Fort Erie Museum in Fort Erie, Ontario Canada

Left in the leaflet rack in the visitor centre.

On July 3rd 1814, an American force crossed the Niagara River and captured Fort Erie from the British. The bulk of the U.S. army marched north to fight the main British forces in the area and the troops left at Fort Erie started to expand and reinforce the defences. At the end of July, after fighting the Battles of Chippawa and Lundy's Lane, the American army withdrew back to Fort Erie. In the early hours of Autust 15th 1814, the British launched a four-pronged attack against the fortifications. A well-prepared American defence and an explosion in the north-east bastion destroyed the British chances for success with the loss of over 1,000 men. The British set up a full-scale siege and this was broken on September 17th, when American troops sortied out of the fort to capture and destroy the British gun batteries.

Shortly after the American sortie, the British lifted the siege lines and retired to positions to the north at Chippawa. News reached the American army at Fort Erie that the Eastern Seaboard of the U.S. was under British attack. On November 5th 1814, with winter approaching, the Americans destroyed the fort and withdrew to Buffalo for the last time. The Treaty of Ghent was signed December 24th 1814, ending the War of 1812-1814. To this day, Fort Erie is the bloodiest battlefield in the history of Canada.

**********************************************************************

This book has been released as part of the following BookCrossing challenges:
- The Ultimate Challenge - read and release books, with extra points for a monthly theme
- Pages Read Challenge - read a self-set target number of pages in 2012. My goal is 26,000.