corner corner The Widow of the South

The Widow of the South
by Robert Hicks | History
Registered by wingquietorchidwing of Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Sunday, June 17, 2012

status (set by JudySlump612): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingquietorchidwing from Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Sunday, June 17, 2012

Fascinating. Novel based on the battle of Franklin TN, which, occuring at the end of the civil war, helped to break the back of the Confederate army. Carrie McGavock, whose house was used as a battlefiels hospital, rose to the occasion and helped with their care. Afterwards, she had the Southern dead moved from their battlefied burial to her private land when the owner of the field was going to replant the field. Amazing story that the author fictionalizes to try to recreate the emotional truths of the day.

Journal Entry 2 by wingquietorchidwing at Gingko Coffee Shop - Snelling and Minnehaha in Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Sunday, June 17, 2012

Released 1 yr ago (6/17/2012 UTC) at Gingko Coffee Shop - Snelling and Minnehaha in Saint Paul, Minnesota USA

Brought to the TC Meet-up (3rd Sunday of the month) for the shelves.

Welcome to Bookcrossing, where Books roam freely! I hope you enjoy the book, and leave a journal entry so I can see where the book ended up. You can remain anonymous if you'd like, or join and follow the book's travels throughout the world! If you join, please mention me, quietorchid, or any other journaller as the referring member. The site is free, secure, and non-spamming. Take a look around, and then go read!

Journal Entry 3 by wingJudySlump612wing at Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Monday, June 18, 2012

This would be a good book to release on my upcoming Civil War cruise. Will try to find a spot in Memphis, since it's set in Tennessee.

Journal Entry 4 by wingJudySlump612wing at Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Wednesday, June 27, 2012

I tried to read this on the plane flying down to New Orleans. Maybe I just get to jumpy and uncomfortable in today's flying environment, but this book and I did not connect. So I'll release it somewhere in Memphis tomorrow, and give it a chance to find a more appreciative reader.

Journal Entry 5 by wingJudySlump612wing at airport in Memphis, Tennessee USA on Friday, June 29, 2012

Released 1 yr ago (6/29/2012 UTC) at airport in Memphis, Tennessee USA