corner corner The Long Earth

The Long Earth
by Terry Pratchett | Science Fiction & Fantasy
Registered by faerie-glen of Weil am Rhein, Baden-Württemberg Germany on 6/17/2012

status (set by Lintulai): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by faerie-glen from Weil am Rhein, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Sunday, June 17, 2012

1916: the Western Front. Private Percy Blakeney wakes up. He is lying on fresh spring grass. He can hear birdsong, and the wind in the leaves in the trees. Where have the mud, blood and blasted landscape of No Man's Land gone?

2015: Madison, Wisconsin. Cop Monica Jansson is exploring the burned-out home of a reclusive - some said mad, others dangerous - scientist when she finds a curious gadget - a box containing some wiring, a three-way switch and a...potato. It is the prototype of an invention that will change the way Mankind views his world for ever.

And that's an understatement if ever there was one...

What if there were an infinite number of parallel earths out there - earths where history played out differently - and anyone could reach them with a device so simple a child could build it?
A "hard" Sci-Fi novel, exploring (sort of) new worlds with a solid scientific backing. The actual premise, the stepping technology, is a bit ridiculous, but the way people behave when their world is turned upside down seems very realistic. An "end of the world as we know it" scenario without the apocalypse.
I really hope this becomes a series! Highly recommended, especially to those who liked the "Science of Discworld" books.

Journal Entry 2 by Munsch at Hamburg, Hamburg Germany on Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Ist heute angekommen. Danke für die Übersendung, bin gespannt!!

Journal Entry 3 by faerie-glen at Ulm, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Saturday, August 25, 2012

International ring strating now.

Please be aware that the book ist travelling over 3 continents and may take a long time!

1. hyphen8 (US)
2. TomHl (US)
3. goldenwattle (AUS)
4. Vekiki (UK)
5. greenbadger (UK)
6. Lintulai (FIN)
7. LilyKlip (GER)

Journal Entry 4 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Thursday, September 13, 2012

Received today: the second ring/ray book I've gotten in two days! So this book is third in line after my current read, but I'll get to it as quickly as I can.

Sounds fascinating - thanks for sharing!

9/21 - just a note to say I've started reading the book. :)

Journal Entry 5 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Sunday, October 14, 2012

This has been waiting around for me to do a journal entry...but I decided I'd better get it mailed out instead.

I'll try to come back later and add my comments. For now I'll just say that (1) it is a fascinating concept which could be spun off in many different directions and (2) apologies are indeed due to Madison!

Journal Entry 6 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Sunday, October 14, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (10/13/2012 UTC) at Honolulu, Hawaii USA

Mailed to Wisconsin today (10/13) via media mail, which sometimes takes 3 weeks.

Journal Entry 7 by TomHl at Pewaukee, Wisconsin USA on Wednesday, October 31, 2012

The book arrived today in Pewaukee, Wisconsin - this is about 50 miles from Madison. We will soon learn whether the writers have any knowledge of Madison, or if it was just a pin on the map. I am now in the middle of Der Zorn Des Khan, and plan to read The Long Earth next.

Dank, faerie-glen, für dem Starten des Bookring. And thanks to hyphen8 for sending it on to me.

Journal Entry 8 by TomHl at Pewaukee, Wisconsin USA on Friday, November 09, 2012

I've read both Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter before, and am quite happy to report that even though Pratchett has top billing, this book seems to be mostly Baxter's. Like most of Baxter's writing, the exploration of the diverse potential of the central concept is more important than the character development. Even though there are some flaky things, this book tends towards hard-sf. I suspect some Pratchett fans will be disappointed.

This collaboration is set in Madison, Wisconsin because as they were developing the book, the authors realized they would both be here in July 2011 for the second North American Discworld convention. The specific place names given are, in fact, real places - most of which I know. One major exception is the "Home" on Allied Drive. Allied Drive is well-known neighborhood of low-income housing projects, and a high crime area. But with the introduction of foster care system, there have not been orphanages in any significant number in the US for about 50 years. In general, it seemed odd to have people who supposedly live in Madison behaving and talking like Brits.

I did enjoy the book, and would be happy to read more - except that I think this book has probably exhausted the concept. And since it has not yet been released in paperback here, it was a treat to read the UK edition.

Journal Entry 9 by TomHl at Pewaukee, Wisconsin USA on Monday, November 12, 2012

Today I hiked a 10km volksmarsch in Madison, and I carried this book in my backpack. The route started with a walk around Capitol Square, and I took a photo of the book at the bottom of one of the stairs. It was fun to imagine the people who were there (including me) stepping into a parallel wilderness Madison. "Miss Forward" is the statue on the top of the dome; not the one right there. And I was wearing gloves because the temperature was about 26F (-3C); it snowed later in the day.

Journal Entry 10 by TomHl at Pewaukee, Wisconsin USA on Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (11/13/2012 UTC) at Pewaukee, Wisconsin USA

I mailed this book to goldenwattle in Australia today, via US "First Class Mail International Parcel." I expect it will arrive in approximately two weeks.

Journal Entry 11 by winggoldenwattlewing at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Wednesday, November 21, 2012

This arrived today. Thank you TomHl for posting it.

Journal Entry 12 by winggoldenwattlewing at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Friday, December 07, 2012

An enjoyable read; a touch monotonous at the start with the continuous travel, but it just got better. I liked all the main characters, and I liked the concept. Whether Lobsang was really a reincarnated Tibetan, or a clever guise by a computer I was never able to decide.

I sent a PM to Vekiki for their address. Thank you for the opportunity to read this book.

Animated Ants Running Around Pictures, Images and Photos

Journal Entry 13 by winggoldenwattlewing at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (12/11/2012 UTC) at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia

I posted this book today to Vekiki in the UK. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
Postage from Australia to Europe is very expensive, so this book is travelling seamail. That can take up to four months, but recent experience is two months. I hope the book enjoys the sea cruise.

Journal Entry 14 by wingVekikiwing at London, Greater London United Kingdom on Saturday, March 16, 2013

This book tells me it has enjoyed it's cruise (it has some outrageous stories about a nouve riche american couple it met in the ship's bar one night...) and is looking forward to starting it's European Tour.
I'll take it on the first leg of it's journey asap - though I will give it some time to get over it's jet-lag while I finish up my current read before we hit the london tourist spots

Journal Entry 15 by wingVekikiwing at London, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, April 18, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (4/18/2013 UTC) at London, Greater London United Kingdom

on it's way to the next reader

Journal Entry 16 by winggreenbadgerwing at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Monday, April 22, 2013

The book arrived today, thanks Vekiki and faerie-glen!

Journal Entry 17 by winggreenbadgerwing at London, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, May 12, 2013

On Step Day, plans appear on the internet for a tool to allow people to step between an unknown number of parallel Earths. Joshua, who doesn't suffer the nausea experienced by others on stepping, rescues the children who are lost on Step Day and against his wishes becomes known as an expert. When he meets Lobsang, a Tibetan who has reincarnated as a supercomputer, he is persuaded to go on a mission with him. Having enjoyed books by both Pratchett and Baxter in the past, I was very keen to read this although intrigued to see how their styles would work together, and I can definitely see bits of each in this blend. The Long Earth is a fascinating concept but the story is a bit disjointed at the beginning. Stick with it, it gets better towards the end.

Journal Entry 18 by winggreenbadgerwing at Kings Langley, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (5/16/2013 UTC) at Kings Langley, Hertfordshire United Kingdom

Sent on to Lintulai who is next in the ray. Enjoy the book! :)

Journal Entry 19 by Lintulai at Lahti, Päijät-Häme / Päijänne-Tavastland Finland on Sunday, May 26, 2013

Thank you Greenbadger! The book arrived on Friday and is going to grow my TBR list.