corner corner Kisscut

Kisscut
by Karin Slaughter | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by talkland of Eastbourne, East Sussex United Kingdom on 11/6/2003

status (set by Sorgatani): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by talkland from Eastbourne, East Sussex United Kingdom on Thursday, November 06, 2003

This is Karin Slaughter's second book and is also set in Grant County. The same core of central players work together to solve a puzzling and shocking case. It starts out with a teenager threaten another with a gun but soon that child is dead and Jeffery Tolliver and his ex-wife Sara Linton must work together to uncover the awful secrets that lies under the veneer of niceness in the town.

This is not an entertaining read but it is a deeply compelling one and you have to keep reading. The content is disturbing and frightening and downright nasty in places but that is not surprising in a case such as this. It is certainly a cannot-put-down-until-the-end book. I think Karin Slaughter's second book is as good as the first with many surprises along the way. It is not predictable and Slaughter's writing builds up the tension and sense of urgency in the characters and the story. An excellent read!

Journal Entry 2 by talkland from Eastbourne, East Sussex United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 10, 2003

I am sending this out as a book ring as it is well-worth a wider audience. Please contact me with your BookCrossing name, location and shipping preferences if you are interested.

Talkland [England]
LeighBCD [England]
Senorag [Mississippi, US]
Zyana [Portugal]
Starbytes [Malaysia]

Some guidelines to help the book on its journey:

1 The names in bold will indicate who has received the book with the last one obviously the current possessor.
2 On receiving the book write a journal entry so we can all keep track of where it is.
3 The person with the book PM's the next one on the list for their address.

Journal Entry 3 by talkland at on Friday, December 26, 2003

Released on Friday, December 26, 2003 at the post office in Eastbourne, East Sussex, England, in Controlled Releases.

Did post this before Christmas but can't remember the date should arrived after the holidays.

Journal Entry 4 by LeighBCD on Thursday, January 01, 2004

Thanks so much talkland... I read the first novel in the series, Blindsighted, and really loved it - I am looking forward to this! Happily this has arrived just when I have finished another novel and I have no other pending book ring books to read... so I can attack this straightaway. I will be back!

Journal Entry 5 by LeighBCD on Sunday, January 04, 2004

***POTENTIAL SPOILER***
I read this super quickly as it was so good... a very spine-chilling, horrible story (I remember Blindsighted was also like this) but absolutely compelling at the same time. What I like most about this novel is that none of the cops are under any mortal danger from the perps - this is realistic and it means that the narrative tension stays with the fate of the victims. I hate how writers like Patricia Cornwell and Kathy Reichs always have the heroes in fear of death at the end - that is so unrealistic, I am glad Karin Slaughter did not resort to such a tired plot device.

Anyway this will be on the next member of the bookray once I get name and address details. Thanks talkland for starting this bookray, I really enjoyed the book.

**Book posted to Senorag on Jan 5**

Journal Entry 6 by SenoraG from -- Wild released somewhere in the state, New Jersey USA on Thursday, February 19, 2004

Received today. I already started it and think I will be up a good part of the night reading it. All the way from England...WOW. Thanks.

2.22.04 WOW, this was one great book. I agree, it was a disturbing read, but written nicely despite the horrors that were going on. Not an easy book to read if you have daughters, at least in my opinion. I really enjoyed it and am glad I got the chance to read it. Thanks Talkland for sharing with a Yankee friend..lol. I will be sending it on this weekend.

Journal Entry 7 by SenoraG at on Saturday, February 28, 2004

Released on Saturday, February 28, 2004 at BOOKRAY in n/a, n/a Controlled Releases.

This guys on its way to Portugal. Going surface mail. Hope you enjoy it.

Journal Entry 8 by Zyana from Porto - City, Porto Portugal on Saturday, March 20, 2004

Received yesterday and have already started on it ... so far so good! Expect to finish in a couple of days and send it on to Starbytes.

Journal Entry 9 by Zyana from Porto - City, Porto Portugal on Monday, March 22, 2004

Great thriller with a strong social component to it.
The first third of the book is brilliant: fast-paced, enticing, powerful and it immediately draws on in. The next two thirds are predictable and somewhat annoying because you have to endure the sluggish thought-patterns of the main characters in their quest to make sense of the what is going on. I myself could see the whole picture from the earlier stages.
The book needs praising for the role it plays in generating awareness toward the issue it revolves around and for unashamedly tackling issues which are awkward, painful and shocking. The character development is pretty solid.

Will mail to the Starbytes tomorrow.

Journal Entry 10 by starbytes from Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, March 30, 2004

Received this today! Thanks, Zyana! I have a few bookrings to finish first but will probably get to this asap as it sounds really interesting! Thanks!

Update 9th April: Another great book from Slaughter! I enjoyed this one as much as I did the first one, but was disappointed that the perp wasn't caught at the end. I wonder if the third book is a continuation of this case, or another one altogether. I'll definitely be looking out for her! Thanks, talkland!!

Update 20th October 2004: Well, I see this book hasn't been to Australia. :D I'll be bringing this along with me, but it's going to be a controlled release. Just mailing it to an Australian while I'm there to save postage. ;D Enjoy your travels, book, but this time, at least I'm going to Australia with you!

Journal Entry 11 by Sorgatani on Friday, November 19, 2004

Thanks, Starbytes!

(Received Monday)

Journal Entry 12 by Sorgatani on Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Finished today at 1:30am local time

This, although not my usual genre, is among the best books I've ever read.

I couldn't put it down, although I read it on the tram, the train AND my brother's place!

Journal Entry 13 by Sorgatani on Friday, October 20, 2006

With luck, I plan on releasing this book on the 21st October 2006

(I think it's about time this book moved on in its' journey)

Safe travels, little book!

Journal Entry 14 by Sorgatani at Crown Hotel, Raymond St in Sale, Victoria Australia on Saturday, October 21, 2006

Released 11 yrs ago (10/20/2006 UTC) at Crown Hotel, Raymond St in Sale, Victoria Australia