corner corner Kiss of the Fur Queen

Kiss of the Fur Queen
by Tomson Highway | Literature & Fiction
Registered by monnibo of Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Wednesday, June 13, 2012

status (set by monnibo): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by monnibo from Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Bought from the SFU Bookstore for a 100-level fiction course focusing on aboriginal authors.

Journal Entry 2 by monnibo at Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Wednesday, June 13, 2012

I read Kiss of the Fur Queen by Tomson Highway last semester for an English course focusing on First Nations fiction. I also wrote my term paper for the course on the novel, exploring how redemptive arts expression can be for emotional trauma. Unfortunately, I am finding it difficult to write a review for the blog having studied it so closely for class, my term paper, and the final exam.

The official blurb from the publisher focuses more on the mysticism of the story and Cree culture. But I found the story to be enjoyable, linear, and compelling. Both brothers were compassionate, intriguing, and unique. The story is loosely based on Tomson Highway’s own experiences in residential school with his brother, Rene Highway.

Read my full review on my blog: http://www.monniblog.com/2012/01/kiss-of-the-fur-queen-by-tomson-highway/

Journal Entry 3 by monnibo at Rhizome Cafe in Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (6/13/2012 UTC) at Rhizome Cafe in Vancouver, British Columbia Canada

Bringing it to The Lower Mainland Bookcrossing Meetup Group - June Monthly Meetup in Vancouver.

Tuesday, June 12, 2012
7:00pm - 9:00pm

Rhizome Cafe
317 E. Broadway, Vancouver

Meetup Details Here

If no one takes the book, it will be by the front door of the café.