corner corner The Mango Season

The Mango Season
by Amulya Malladi | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingAnnimanniwing of Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on 6/10/2012

status (set by kiwiinengland): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingAnnimanniwing from Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, June 10, 2012

From the back:

"Priya Rao left India when she was twenty to study in the United States, and she's never been back. Now, seven years later, she's out of excuses. She has to return and give her family the news. She's engaged to Nick Collins, a kind, loving American man. Marrying a foreigner is going to break their hearts.

Returning to India is an overwhelming experience for Priya. Things that used to seem natural (a buffalo strolling down a newly laid asphalt road, for example) now seem strange. But Priya's relatives remain the same. Her mother and father insist that it's time they arranged her marriage to a 'nice Indian boy.' Just as Priya begins to feel she could never possibly tell her family about her engagement, a secret is revealed that leaves her stunned. Now she is forced to choose between the love of her family and the love of her life."

Journal Entry 2 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, July 10, 2012

A good, engaging read. I wasn't particularly impressed by the writing itself even though Malladi managed to paint a few evocative word pictures (I think those relating to mangoes were my favourites :D), but the story was interesting and the characters, for the most part, likeable. Once I started reading, I had trouble putting the book down again - a good thing I'm on summer holiday at the moment!

Next off to Chania as part of the Finnish wishlist tag game.

Journal Entry 3 by Chania at Kokkola, Keski-Pohjanmaa / Mellersta Österbotten Finland on Monday, July 16, 2012

Thanks for this wishlist-book, I'll look forward reading it!

Journal Entry 4 by Chania at Kokkola, Keski-Pohjanmaa / Mellersta Österbotten Finland on Monday, October 29, 2012

Pretty nice book! Not the best of this type/genre, which I like a lot, but still entertaining and a good read!

Sending forward as a wishlist-tag book :)

Journal Entry 5 by wingrodespringbalwing at Moerbeke-Waas, Oost-Vlaanderen / Flandre Orientale Belgium on Sunday, November 18, 2012

Arrived on wednesday, but had no time to journal it till now

Thanks Chania for sending :-)

Journal Entry 6 by wingrodespringbalwing at Moerbeke-Waas, Oost-Vlaanderen / Flandre Orientale Belgium on Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (1/29/2013 UTC) at Moerbeke-Waas, Oost-Vlaanderen / Flandre Orientale Belgium

a beautiful book about the life of Priya who has to choose hurting her family or hurting herself. Priya tries to hold on to traditions and new happenings in her life. Mixing two different cultures is not so easy as you would think.

I will send this book in a ray:

Soozreader (Finland -> EU)
Booksieboo (Germany -> Intl')
Dvg (US ->US/CAN)
Azuki (US -> US/CAN)
NancyNova (US -> Int'l)

Journal Entry 7 by wingSoozreaderwing at Joensuu, Pohjois-Karjala / Norra Karelen Finland on Wednesday, February 06, 2013

Thank you very much for this wishlist book! I look forward to reading and passing this on quickly! :)

Journal Entry 8 by wingSoozreaderwing at Joensuu, Pohjois-Karjala / Norra Karelen Finland on Friday, February 15, 2013

Oh, I loved the story even with all the agony and drama! I thought it was well and beautifully written...I could have read more of the story! I think in any culture parents (and grandparents) and children can have their issues and unmet expectations, though some are obviously more drastic than others...Reading the book was a great way to spent a sleepless night:)

I'll try to post this onwards soon, as soon as I manage to get to the post office...:)

Journal Entry 9 by wingSoozreaderwing at by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, February 16, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (2/16/2013 UTC) at by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

The book is on its way to the next reader! Enjoy! :)

Journal Entry 10 by wingbooksieboowing at Bochum, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Arrived safely today; thanks!!

Journal Entry 11 by wingbooksieboowing at Bochum, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Friday, March 22, 2013

This book gave me a deeper insight into arranged marriages in India and elsewhere than I would ever have been able to achieve from newspaper or magazine articles, particularly the chapter titled 'The Similarity Between Cattle and Women'.
Initially I was surprised that it took Priya so long to tell her family what she had travelled so far to tell them, but in retrospect that added to the suspense of this book and underlined the problems involved in her wanting to marry an American.
I also found the book mouth-watering at times, with the frequent references to local food, and the recipes included in the book reminded me of several holiday trips to Sri Lanka.

Thanks for the opportunity to read this book!!
I have the next address and the book will continue its journey later today.

Journal Entry 12 by wingbooksieboowing at Bochum, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Friday, March 22, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (3/22/2013 UTC) at Bochum, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany

This book is now on its way by priority mail to dvg, complete with the cute bookmark that was in the book when I received it.
Hope you enjoy it as much as I did. :-))

Journal Entry 13 by dvg at Flanders, New Jersey USA on Wednesday, April 03, 2013

Thank you, rodespringbal, for starting this bookring which makes several BCers happy. Love bookrings because we can share a good read while keeping it moving to another happy reader.

It arrived safely in NJ today and with perfect timing as I just finished my other book. Starting this tonight and should have it traveling quickly.

Thank you, booksieboo, for sending this to me and including BCID labels for me to use. I truly love that postcard (love German food & beer plus my hubby used to work in a German brewpub).

Well...Off I go...I can't wait to start reading!

Journal Entry 14 by dvg at Sent to the Next BCer, Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Friday, April 05, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (4/6/2013 UTC) at Sent to the Next BCer, Bookring -- Controlled Releases

As you can see, I did not want to put this book down and finished it quickly. I think it is a story that alot of people can understand. A story of finding someone you love and hoping that those that love you will do so even though it may be against their beliefs or wishes for you. In the end, I liked the main character and loved the story from start to finish. I enjoyed learning a few new recipes while learning a bit of a culture different from mine.

Thank you for sharing this with me and its traveling to Azuki.

Journal Entry 15 by wingazukiwing at Miami, Florida USA on Monday, June 03, 2013

Oh my gosh, I am so sorry. I was picking through my TBR pile for a book to offer in a bookbox, and came across this. And realize that somehow it was never journalled and I had just put it on my TBR pile with no urgency to read.

My deepest apology again, and I will put this on the top of the pile to be read as soon as I finish my current book, then send it to the next reader.

Journal Entry 16 by wingazukiwing at Miami, Florida USA on Saturday, June 22, 2013

I agree with other readers that once I started, the book is rather un-put-down-able. A nice contrast of different generations, and how Priya has changed the dynamics of the family.

I can totally feel Priya. When I came to the U.S. and mentioned to my parents I got to know an American guy, my parents made similar comments: "We should never have sent you to the U.S." "How could you do this to us?" (I was thinking, do what? It wasn't like I have a baby out of wed-lock!) "Americans all get divorces." On the other hand, I do understand how my parents want to have a son-in-law they can talk to, and have more to share with. And my girlfriends have plenty of similar stories to tell.

I will mail this out next week. Again, apologies for the delay.

Journal Entry 17 by wingNancyNovawing at Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Sunday, July 21, 2013

It arrived in Pa! Bumping it to next to read. PM'g organizer to see where this goes next.

Journal Entry 18 by wingNancyNovawing at Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Thursday, July 25, 2013

bookring; from the TLC book club reading list. Priya has been in America for 7 years. Now on her first trip back to India, she is caught up in the drama of her extended family, the culture and the expectations. How is she going to tell them that she's marrying an American without splintering all her family ties forever?

Journal Entry 19 by wingNancyNovawing at Maidstone, Kent United Kingdom on Saturday, August 03, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (8/5/2013 UTC) at Maidstone, Kent United Kingdom

Your Rabck win. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 20 by wingyorkshire-lasswing at Maidstone, Kent United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Thank you very much for this, I'm looking forward to reading it. Sorry for the delay in doing a JE, it got put with my birthday pile by mistake!

Journal Entry 21 by wingyorkshire-lasswing at Maidstone, Kent United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 15, 2013

I really enjoyedreading this beautiful little story. It only took a day to read as once I'd started I didn't want to put it down. The story got a little close to home as my son is in a very similar situation at the moment, I just hope he and his girlfriend can work things out so nobody gets hurt.
All in all a very good read :-)

Journal Entry 22 by wingyorkshire-lasswing at Maidstone, Kent United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (10/15/2013 UTC) at Maidstone, Kent United Kingdom

This is on its way back to Finland as part of the European Wishlist Tag Game, hope you enjoyit as much as I did :-)

Journal Entry 23 by wingsakirmowing at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Wednesday, October 23, 2013

The book is back in Finland again, many thanks! :)

Journal Entry 24 by wingsakirmowing at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Monday, October 27, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (10/27/2014 UTC) at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland

Well... even though this is not a bad book by any defnition it was still a bit of a disappointment for me. Maybe I've just read too many similar stories in the past few years as I really felt this book wasn't giving me anything new or exciting to digest. I also still can't fathom what the back cover sentence "just as Priya begins to feel she could never possibly tell her family about her engagement, a secret is revealed that leaves her stunned" refers to. Isn't it soooo annoying when you begin waiting for some incredible secret to be revealed at any moment and then it just never shows up ;)

The book is travelling to the winner of 'Authors from Unusual Countrie's next. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 25 by book-a-neer at Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Thank you.

Journal Entry 26 by book-a-neer at Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Monday, April 11, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (4/11/2016 UTC) at Melbourne, Victoria Australia

SCBE Jan - KiwiinEngland/J4shaw

Journal Entry 27 by kiwiinengland at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Monday, April 18, 2016

Thanks so much for sending me this well traveled book. What a treat, it looks just my cup of tea.