corner corner Lost Time

Lost Time
by Catharine Arnold | Other
Registered by elstaplador of Cambridge, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on 6/10/2012

status (set by Bookworm-lady): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by elstaplador from Cambridge, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Sunday, June 10, 2012

Dear reader, dear finder - thank you for coming here to see where this book has been so far. I hope you enjoy it. Do feel free to leave a journal entry below saying where you found this book, what you thought of it, and what you intend to do with it.

Journal Entry 2 by elstaplador at Woking, Surrey United Kingdom on Thursday, June 28, 2012

An author I'd never heard of, a book bought on impulse from an 'ALL IN THIS BOX £1' box, an intriguing and pleasantly creepy story. Set in what was contemporary Cambridge (this was published in the mid eighties), this has a vaguely old-school M R James 'academic ghost story' vibe, with a side of Turn of the Screw, but with rather more sex. Subtext becoming text, if you see what I mean. Stays this side of the overtly paranormal, though, which is very effective. Gorgeously atmospheric, with a real sense of time passing. And so refreshing to find a happily bisexual character.

Journal Entry 3 by elstaplador at Mailed, Book Relay virtual book box -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, June 28, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (6/28/2012 UTC) at Mailed, Book Relay virtual book box -- Controlled Releases

Sending to LilyKlip as part of the International Book Xerpting. Hope you enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by LilyKlip at Leipzig, Sachsen Germany on Friday, July 06, 2012

This started as a nice and entertaining read but from a certain point I just found it completely predictable. Apparently the "ghosty" elements increase later, I didn't actually make it that far in the book. I would have been interested in those developments but I just find the rest too boring to go on.

Thanks anyway. I will try and organise a Ray for this one.

Participants:

1. Tsjara (Netherlands; Europe shipping prefered)
2. Bookworm-lady (Spain; Int'l shipping)

Looks like this is the end of the ray. The book is left with Bookworm-lady and she can keep it or pass it on as she likes.

Journal Entry 5 by LilyKlip at Leipzig, Sachsen Germany on Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Released 4 yrs ago (9/26/2012 UTC) at Leipzig, Sachsen Germany

Now traveling to Tsjara.

Journal Entry 6 by wingTsjarawing at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, September 29, 2012

It's here! That was quick. Thanks for sending and organizing the bookray LilyKlip!
I'll start with this one soon. Sounds quite intriguing... :)

Journal Entry 7 by wingTsjarawing at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Thursday, October 11, 2012

Finished it a couple days ago and enjoyed it a lot (was actually reading 2 other books at the moment, but this one took over once I started in it).
I like stories set in these old university towns, and it felt very atmospheric. At first I wasn't sure what period it was set in, it had this 'old fashioned novel' feel to it.. they did have cars, but no other technology was mentioned (at least till halfway through when Miles got on an airplane :p) and it sort of made me think of Brideshead Revisited (especially with the idyllic summer in the countryside).
I liked Miles and Benjy, and I had hoped for a different ending. Not sure what to think of Olivia, she was a bit creepy.. And the thing with Francesca never really seemed resolved (or its cause revealed). Somehow I had expected a bit more ghosty bits. But I still liked the story (and all those references to literature). :)

Journal Entry 8 by wingTsjarawing at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Thursday, October 11, 2012

Released 4 yrs ago (10/10/2012 UTC) at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands

In the mail to Bookworm-Lady. Happy reading! :)

Journal Entry 9 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Monday, October 15, 2012

Thanks for sending this on, Tsjara; it has arrived safely with me...
I would love to visit Amstersdam; thanks for the appealing postcard, and the tip!!
And thanks for sharing, LilyKlip, you've been very nice to me...
Looking forward to reading this one, let's see if we get some more readers.
I can't wait for the "pleasantly creepy" bits...