corner corner The Luxe

The Luxe
by Anna Godbersen | Teens
Registered by wingmegami-no-ushiwing of Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, June 09, 2012

status (set by bluezwuzl): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingmegami-no-ushiwing from Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, June 09, 2012

This was a fun bit of escapist fluff that I read on my way back to school from winter holidays. I might still track down the sequel . It was set up fairly well so it was a mystery as how the prologue was going to fit the narritative as it unfolded.

From Publishers Weekly
With a quote from The Age of Innocence as an epigraph and an enthusiastic blurb from the creator of Gossip Girl on its back cover, this lavishly produced debut makes no secret of its twin influences. The story opens in 1899 with the funeral of Elizabeth Holland, a well-bred beauty said to have plunged to her death in the Hudson River. The narrative then travels back several weeks, tracing the relationships and events that have led to the somber assembly. This tangled web includes not one but two sets of star-crossed lovers; an upstairs/downstairs romance; a scheming social climber; a bitter servant girl; and oodles of money, all set in a Edith Wharton via Hollywood vision of Old New York. The dialogue has its clunky moments, and the plot twist that drives the tale is telegraphed from the very start, but readers caught up in the fancy dress intrigue are unlikely to mind much: it’s all part of the dishy fun. Needless to say, the ending paves the way for at least one sequel. Ages 14-up.

Journal Entry 2 by wingmegami-no-ushiwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, June 09, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (6/10/2012 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taking to the June meetup!

To the finder:
Calgary has an active group of BookCrossers that meet to swap books and discuss book crossing every second Saturday of the month at 11am at the Joshua Tree Cafe on Edmonton Trail. We always love to meet new crossers, so please join us any time you like!

Journal Entry 3 by Eri-Cherry at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, June 10, 2012

Grabbed at BC get together

Journal Entry 4 by Eri-Cherry at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, May 10, 2013

So good! It is incredibly full of cliches, fluff and predictableness. However, the book is so well written that it was amazingly enjoyable, drew me right in, and was very hard to put down (even while at work)!

Thanks for the excellent and fun read!

Journal Entry 5 by Eri-Cherry at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, June 08, 2013

Released 1 yr ago (6/8/2013 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taken to BC get together

Journal Entry 6 by underasunnysky at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, June 08, 2013

Picked up at the Calgary BookCrossing Group.

Journal Entry 7 by underasunnysky at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, February 15, 2014

Released 9 mos ago (3/8/2014 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

As I suspected, historical romances and I (no matter how fluffy they be) are just not going to be friends. To be released at the Calgary Book Crossing group meeting at Cravings.

Journal Entry 8 by wingmegami-no-ushiwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, June 16, 2014

And this one is back home with me again to determine how I want to send it off into the world.

Journal Entry 9 by wingbluezwuzlwing at Altdorf (Niederbayern), Bayern Germany on Friday, October 10, 2014

The book arrived today. Thanks for sending it!