corner corner Honolulu

Honolulu
by Alan Brennert | Literature & Fiction
Registered by BruceAlexander of Brooksville, Florida USA on Tuesday, June 05, 2012

status (set by BruceAlexander): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by BruceAlexander from Brooksville, Florida USA on Tuesday, June 05, 2012

"In Korea in those days, newborn girls were not deemed important enough to be graced with formal names, but were instead given nicknames, which often reflected the parents' feelings on the birth of a daughter: I knew a girl named Anger, and another called Pity. As for me, my parents named me Regret."

TRAVELING TO HAWAI'I AS A "PICTURE BRIDE" IN 1914, Regret finds not the affluent young husband and chance at an education that she has been promised, but a poor, embittered laborer who takes his frustrations out on his new wife. Renaming herself Jin, she makes her own way in this strange land, finding both opportunity and prejudice. WIth the help of three fellow picture brides, Jin prospers along with her adopted city, now growing from a small territorial capital into the great multicultural city it is today. But paradise has its dark side, whether it's the daily struggle for survival in Honolulu's tenements, or a crime that will become the most infamous in the islands' history.

With its passionated knowledge of Hawai'i far off the tourist track, Honolulu is the spellbinding tale of four women in a new world, united by dreams, disappointment, sacrifices, and friendship.

Journal Entry 2 by BruceAlexander at Goodwill in Brandon, Florida USA on Monday, August 27, 2012

Released 1 yr ago (8/28/2012 UTC) at Goodwill in Brandon, Florida USA