corner corner Passage

Passage
by Connie Willis | Science Fiction & Fantasy
Registered by wingJudySlump612wing of Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on 6/4/2012

status (set by VeganMedusa): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingJudySlump612wing from Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Monday, June 04, 2012

This is my favorite Connie Willis book, although it's hard to say why. I liked and cared about almost all the characters, and the story immediately hooked me and carried me along to the end. There are generous sprinkles of her sly humor, to lighten the tension of a very serious topic. But that's true of all of her work. Why does this one stand out?

I can't say too much without risking spoilers, but Willis' work often has a theme of the human drive to communicate, and how very hard that can be. Here she has new examples: a critically ill young girl, desperate for companionship; a geezer who's so good at telling stories he might even believe them himself; a retired teacher with full-blown Alzheimer's dementia. And one of the ultimate challenges: the Near-Death Experience (NDE), the subject of Joanna's research. In these cases, who or what is trying to communicate, and what is the message?

Journal Entry 2 by wingJudySlump612wing at By mail, RABCK to fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Monday, June 04, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (6/4/2012 UTC) at By mail, RABCK to fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

To Moriquen, because anyone with the superb taste to put this on her Wish List deserves to have a copy sent to her - enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by Moriquen at Borgerhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Thursday, June 14, 2012

Wauw, what a package! Thank you so much for not one, not two but three great looking books. Including this wishlist book. This is just amazing!!
I can't thank you enough for the great package you have given me, JudySlump! I'm just beaming with joy!!

Edit: Promised this book to keeta1 as a replacement for a wishlist-tag book.

Journal Entry 4 by Moriquen at Broechem, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Tuesday, January 01, 2013

I must be completely honest and say that I liked Doomsday book better than this one. But that is most likely due to me being a bit of a history lover! ;) Never the less I still enjoyed reading this book, even though nothing much actually happens in the book. It is all about Joanna trying to figure out what NDE's are all about. But still you get the feeling that you've travelled great lengths of time and space following Joanna in her own NDE's and trying to figure out the others NDE's as well.
Willis managed to get me involved with all the characters. I was rooting for Veille, Kit, Maisie and Richard and I was happy when Mandrake got fed some of his own medicine.
Thanks for sending this book my way, JudySlump612. I already know where this book will be going next!

Journal Entry 5 by Moriquen at Broechem, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Friday, March 22, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (3/22/2013 UTC) at Broechem, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium

Finally on its way to keeta1. Sorry for the delay. I hope you'll enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 6 by wingkeeta1wing at Howick, Auckland Province New Zealand on Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Thank you Moriquen - the book has arrived safe and sound. I've not read any of this author's work, so look forward to trying it. It may take a while though, as Mt Tbr is quite high!

Journal Entry 7 by wingkeeta1wing at Howick, Auckland Province New Zealand on Wednesday, April 17, 2013

I moved this one up Mt Tbr as I know someone else who would like to read it, later this year.
I have to admit to finding the book a bit boring. The subject matter was interesting and I think I would have enjoyed it more if it weren't so repetitive. She really did go over the same things time after time and a lot of the medical stuff was not that interesting. The characters were great however.

Journal Entry 8 by wingkeeta1wing at By Post, By Post -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (4/30/2013 UTC) at By Post, By Post -- Controlled Releases

Tagged VeganMedusa.

Journal Entry 9 by VeganMedusa at Invercargill, Southland New Zealand on Friday, May 03, 2013

Thanks, keeta - a lovely surprise to come home to after a few hectic days away.