corner corner The High King (Chronicles of Prydain)

The High King (Chronicles of Prydain)
by Lloyd Alexander | Science Fiction & Fantasy
Registered by wingerishkigalwing of Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Sunday, June 03, 2012

status (set by ayntastic): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingerishkigalwing from Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Sunday, June 03, 2012

This fabulous conclusion to the Prydain Chronicles won the Newberry Award.

"Greater, more disastrous, and demanding more courage are the battles into which Taran leads his followers against Arawn Death-Lord.... The book has the philosophical depth and overtones of great fantasy." --The Horn Book

Although written as a YA,this can certainly be enjoyed by adults as well :)

As a lover both of mythology and Arthuran legend, I was instantly enchanted by this series. While not a retelling of the Mabinogion, the Welsh legends are a strong influence, stemming from the time Alexander spent in Wales. It is a tale of rags to riches, a battle of coming of age, an epic of good and evil. Alexander weaves the tale with both humor and sorrow, his characters are real, and as all truly great heroes must be, flawed.

You needn't have read the first books to .enjoy this one, but your reading of The High King will be richer for it. I know. The High King was my introduction to the series. I loved it, promptly went to the library for the others, then read though in order, concluding with my second reading of The High King :)

Journal Entry 2 by wingerishkigalwing at Olympic Rock bench corner 1500 East and Emerson Ave (1495 South) in Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Sunday, June 03, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (6/3/2012 UTC) at Olympic Rock bench corner 1500 East and Emerson Ave (1495 South) in Salt Lake City, Utah USA

to be released about 12:30

To the Finder:

Thank you for picking up this book, and helping it on it's journey. I hope you will enjoy reading it. It is now yours to read, to pass on, to keep, or to leave "in the wild" again. I do hope you will journal, so that past and future readers may follow the books journey. You can join bookcrossing, or journal anonymously if you prefer. If you do join, you will also be notified every time the book is journaled, enabling you too to see where it goes and what others think of it. Your information will remain private. No one is ever given your email address.

HAPPY READING!

Journal Entry 3 by tostle at ABC Book box (Already Book Crossed) in -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Sunday, May 26, 2013

Released 1 yr ago (5/26/2013 UTC) at ABC Book box (Already Book Crossed) in -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

This book is going into the ABC Bookbox. Happy Travels!

Journal Entry 4 by ayntastic at Portland, Oregon USA on Friday, September 27, 2013

Picked this one out of JennyC1230's ABC (already been crossed) book box. I've read a lot of Newbery winners, but somehow not this one. Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 5 by ayntastic at Seven Virtues Coffeehouse in Portland, Oregon USA on Sunday, March 30, 2014

Released 8 mos ago (3/30/2014 UTC) at Seven Virtues Coffeehouse in Portland, Oregon USA

On the fireplace in the back :)