corner corner Picture Bride: A Novel

Picture Bride: A Novel
by Yoshiko Uchida | Literature & Fiction
Registered by lovemylife of Campbellsport, Wisconsin USA on 11/5/2003

status (set by mlacsontan): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by lovemylife from Campbellsport, Wisconsin USA on Wednesday, November 05, 2003

Carrying a picture of Taro Takeda, whom she is to marry but has not yet met, 21-year-old Hana Omiya leaves Japan and arrives in San Francisco as one of several hundred Japanese "picture brides" whose arranged marriages brought them to America in the early 1900s.

Journal Entry 2 by brewski from Markham, Ontario Canada on Friday, December 05, 2003

Thanks lovemylife, I received this book in the mail today. I am looking forward to reading it, then setting it free to travel some more.

Journal Entry 3 by brewski from Markham, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, October 30, 2007

How embarassing, it took me nearly 4 years to start reading this book since the time I received it from lovemylife. I can thank guinaveve's 2007 Keep Them Moving Challenge for giving me the "push" to read books that I have received from other BookCrossers.

Although it took me 4 years to begin reading this book, it only took me 4 days to finish it. The short reading time (for me at least) is in part because it is a fairly short book, but also because it was such a captivating read. The historical element to the story, the interest I felt in the characters, even the setting in the San Francisco Bay Area all drew me in. I also learned a bit more detail about the internment of Japanese Americans through this book. And while I can say that the treatment they received by the US government was deplorable, I have to admire the spirit of the internees in the face of such hardship.

Journal Entry 4 by brewski at Scotiabank, Bay and King in Toronto, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Released 9 yrs ago (10/30/2007 UTC) at Scotiabank, Bay and King in Toronto, Ontario Canada

Left on the window ledge in the 25th floor lunchroom of 44 King St W.

To the finder of this book:
Hello and congratulations! You have not only found yourself a good book, but a whole community of booklovers dedicated to sharing books with each other and the world at large. I hope you'll stick around a bit and get to know BookCrossing --maybe even make a journal entry on this book. You may choose to remain anonymous or to join (its free!) And if you do choose to join, I hope you'll consider using me, brewski, as your referring member.

Journal Entry 5 by mlacsontan at Toronto, Ontario Canada on Saturday, September 08, 2012

Wonderful story, an eye opener for immigrants on how each families touch each other by Faith, Friendship,Love and their struggles in order to survive in a foreign land.
It was a very humbling experience for all of them they learned to accept the life they have chosen and dreamed for their children.
It was amazing to know their is such a thing as a Picture Bride during those times,kudos to those courageous women.
A must read....

Journal Entry 6 by mlacsontan at Scarborough, Ontario Canada on Saturday, September 08, 2012

Released 4 yrs ago (9/9/2012 UTC) at Scarborough, Ontario Canada

Left at YWCA Resource Centre at Scarborough Golf Club Rd and Kingston Rd.