corner corner Life of Pi

Life of Pi
by Yann Martel | Literature & Fiction
Registered by ligonberry of Kitchener, Ontario Canada on 11/3/2003

status (set by ligonberry): available

Journal Entry 1 by ligonberry from Kitchener, Ontario Canada on Monday, November 03, 2003

A philosphical adventure story. Martel's unique magic-realism brings you to a world where a boat on the Pacific can hold a 450 pound tiger,a zebra, orang-utan, a hyena AND a religious 16-year-old boy co-exist. It is deep and thoughtful, but I read it to a couple of 8 year olds and they loved it too.

Journal Entry 2 by ligonberry at -- Controlled release in Kitchener, Ontario Canada on Monday, November 03, 2003

Released on Monday, November 03, 2003 at New Book Ring in Kitchener, Ontario Canada.

Join the book-ring!

Okay, here it is--- remember to PM the next person on the list for their address when you receive the book in the mail. Check the postings to see where it is, if you're anxious :) Don't forget to add your mailart (I will eventually figure out how to get the scan of the postacard I sent onto the journal section).
1. Hathyia (Malaysia) en route as we speak...
2. Llsylvester (Iowa, U.S.)
3. Brewski (Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada)
4. Alarob (Alabama, U.S.)
5. CrazyMaizie (Minnesota, U.S.)
6. Chivers (Brazil)
7. Fruitionfun (Connecticut, U.S.)
8. Lady-Mondegreen (U.K.)
9. Back to me! (Canada)

Journal Entry 3 by hathyia on Saturday, December 13, 2003

I am sorry that i took sooo long for me to register the book..... start reading it today so it can be passed on to the next person...

9/1/04
this book is beatifully written.... especially the part on religion...it touched my heart.....i must say it's a must read book.....

Journal Entry 4 by hathyia at on Thursday, January 08, 2004

Release planned for Saturday, January 10, 2004 at Post Office - Bandar Sri Damansara in Bandar Sri Damansara, Kuala Lumpur Malaysia.

On its way to Llsylvester

Journal Entry 5 by llsylvester from Camdenton, Missouri USA on Wednesday, January 28, 2004

Recieved the book last week and have started reading. Will report again when I have finished it. Must say it was exciting to recieve from a foreign location and see the stamps used. Thanks Hathyia

Journal Entry 6 by brewski from Markham, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, March 16, 2004

Well I just received this yesterday and will start on it today. I'll have a more detailed journal entry once I have finished.

Journal Entry 7 by brewski from Markham, Ontario Canada on Friday, May 07, 2004

Wow, I had very high expectations before I even began reading this book, and I was not disappointed. I really really enjoyed the book. While I will stop short of saying that reading the book made me believe in God, I will say that it definitely had me thinking about the metaphysical.

Thanks go to ligonberry for sharing this with all of us.

Life of Pi will now continue its trip to the next bookring participant, alarob.

May/13/2004:
Mailed today

Journal Entry 8 by alarob from Birmingham, Alabama USA on Thursday, May 27, 2004

This book arrived yesterday and already I’ve gobbled it up like Richard Parker with a juicy dorado. If I start writing about it, I may not stop for days. It’s probably enough to say this is one of the best novels I have read. Will the story really make you believe in God, as promised? That may depend on how you interpret what Pi says on page 352.

Mr. Chiba: “What did he just say?
Mr. Okamoto: “I don’t know.
Mr. Chiba: “Oh look — he’s crying.
I had to smile at the two Mr. Kumars, as my own spiritual journey has been from about the position of the former (dialectically materialist) Mr. Kumar to about that of the latter (Muslim) Mr. Kumar. Chapter 23 (Pi and the three wise men, pp. 71-77) made me laugh. Whether or not you believe in God, you’ll probably want to believe in Richard Parker. And now I’ll send the book on its way, with thanks to Ligonberry.

Journal Entry 9 by chivers from Recife, Pernambuco Brazil on Wednesday, July 07, 2004

just got the book!!! i have 2 other bookrings with me right now (reading one the other waiting) but since i'm on vacation i'll have plenty of time to read it.

update: 07/16 -> just started reading.

Journal Entry 10 by chivers from Recife, Pernambuco Brazil on Tuesday, July 27, 2004

just finished reading this book. it was really hard to me to get into it, but after it happened i could hardly stop reading. it's really an amazing book and now i understand why people seem to like it so much. now i'll pm the next participant and prepare my postcard :)
thanks ligonberry for giving me the chance to read that fantastic book!

Journal Entry 11 by Lady-Mondegreen from Basingstoke, Hampshire United Kingdom on Saturday, September 04, 2004

Excited to receive this book - first of all because it has already been around most of the ring, so, unlike the two rings I have started myself, I know this one will be complete and I can return it to ligonberry after it's long journey! Also because it was one of the first rings I signed up for after becoming a bookcrosser last year so it is nice to receive it now. It was great to get a book from Brazil and my husband is pleased to have the stamps! I love the cards & quotes (especially your work of Art Chivers) and hope I can find something interesting to include. Finally, after reading all your reviews I think this book may be special. This can be a bit intimidating when starting a book - I hope it lives up to the reputation! I won't be reading it straight away as I have two other rings in the queue but hope to read it when I go on holiday later in the month.

Journal Entry 12 by Lady-Mondegreen from Basingstoke, Hampshire United Kingdom on Sunday, November 07, 2004

Life of Pi is terrific, a unique, entertaining, original, lovable, imaginative adventure story. Beautifully, written, this is story telling at its most magical and gripping – with humour, apprehension, intensity and an abundance of philosophical questions from start to finish. So much more than dry yeastless factuality!

Will be posting this home to ligonberry next week - thanks for organising the ring!

Journal Entry 13 by ligonberry from Kitchener, Ontario Canada on Saturday, August 08, 2009

Extremely belated thanks to everyone in this ring....I've got a gorgeous collection of postcards from you and I've also told the story of the world-travelling novel to others who have since borrowed the same book from me (the old-fashioned-face-to-face-way).