corner corner Bad Nature, or With Elvis in Mexico (New Directions Pearls)

Bad Nature, or With Elvis in Mexico (New Directions Pearls)
by Javier Marías | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingAnnimanniwing of Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on 5/17/2012

status (set by Tarna): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingAnnimanniwing from Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Thursday, May 17, 2012

From the back:

"'It all happened because of Elvis Presley.'

A boiled-down gem of a Marías story about how Elvis (in Acapulco to film a movie) and his hard-drinking entourage abandon their interpreter in a seedy cantina full of enraged criminals after insults starts to fly. When the local kingpin demands to be told what the Americans are saying, Elvis himself delivers an even more stinging parting shot - and who has to translate that?"

Journal Entry 2 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, October 23, 2013

I found this at a sale at the Academic Bookstore last year and couldn't resist, although I hadn't read Marías before. And what an unexpected little gem it turned out to be! Literary entertainment is how someone has put it at Amazon and that about nails it.

***

Now it's off to someone who I think (and hope) will appreciate it.

Journal Entry 3 by wingTarnawing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Wow, what a surprise: Elvis Presley in Acapulco, a story by an author who is, as Orhan Pamuk puts it, ”One of the writers who should get the Nobel Prize.” This little book has to be great.
The book(s) arrived yesterday. I'm writing this at 2 a.m. listening to the rain & windy night outside, wondering if the storm will reach this far. It rains and looks pretty stormy in the postcard too. Among all the seasons, fall has always been my favorite. Although it wouldn't be nice to be lost in the storm, I like I am secretly lost by Jordan Crane.
You're spoiling me, Annimanni, and I love it. :) Thank you!