corner corner The Maltese Baron... and I Lucian

The Maltese Baron... and I Lucian
by Francis Ebejer | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Torgin of Mülheim an der Ruhr, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on 5/5/2012

status (set by Torgin): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by Torgin from Mülheim an der Ruhr, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Saturday, May 05, 2012

A story of a friendship (between Lucian and the baron Mark-Antonin), a love (between Lucian and Katarina) and the obstacles to both, told by Lucian himself looking back in his old days.

To cut it short: Lucian is an egocentric, self-righteous a...hole. Completely settled in the past as manifested by his ancestral home and the things in it, he simply can't get along with other people. Of course, this is difficult if you see yourself as a person of most decent manners whereas everybody else is just looking for how to insult you best and deepest. Midway through the book I asked myself why Mark-Antonin, Katarina and all the others don't let him get forgotten and rotten in his house.

During the first half I sometimes had the impression of reading Requiem for a Malta Fascist again, because of similar constellations and reactions by the protagonist. Fortunately, this got better in the second half, but this wasn't enough to really like the book.

Journal Entry 2 by Torgin at Mülheim an der Ruhr, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Sunday, July 26, 2015

According to my notes this book is travelling although I don't remember where and when I released it. Probably given to someone interested ...