corner corner Holy Cow!

Holy Cow!
by Sarah MacDonald | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by jo_an_a of Vantaa, Uusimaa Finland on Saturday, May 05, 2012

status (set by eggs2805): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by jo_an_a from Vantaa, Uusimaa Finland on Saturday, May 05, 2012

After backpacking her way around India, 21-year-old Sarah Macdonald decided that she hated this land of chaos and contradiction with a passion, and when an airport beggar read her palm and insisted she would come back one day - and for love - she vowed never to return.

But twelve years later the prophecy comes true when her partner, ABC's South Asia correspondent, is posted to New Delhi, the most polluted city on earth. Having given up a blossoming radio career in Sydney to follow her new boyfriend to India, it seems like the ultimate sacrifice and it almost kills Sarah - literally. After being cursed by a sadhu smeared in human ashes, she nearly dies from double pheumonia. It's enough to send a rapidly balding atheist on a wild rollercoaster ride through India's many religions in search of the meaning of life and death.

From the 'brain enema' of a meditation retreat in Dharamsala to the biggest Hindu festival on earth on the steps of the Ganges in Varanasi, and with the help of the Dalai Lama, a goddess of healing hugs and a couple of Bollywood stars - among many, many others - Sarah discovers a hell of a lot more.

Journal Entry 2 by jo_an_a at Kaapelitehdas / Cable Factory in Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Saturday, May 05, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (5/5/2012 UTC) at Kaapelitehdas / Cable Factory in Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland

Releasing this at Kierrätystehdas recycling event.

Journal Entry 3 by wingNiksuwing at Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Saturday, May 05, 2012

Asked this straight from Jo_an_a after seeing the release alert. Many thanks!

Journal Entry 4 by wingNiksuwing at Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Wednesday, August 08, 2012

Sometimes the best way to travel is through the pages of a book. And especially when it's a country I never want to visit myself. A good book to read during my summer vacation.

Now it's ready to travel to next reader from the wishlist tag-game.

Journal Entry 5 by sakirmo at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi Finland on Friday, August 10, 2012

The book arrived already, wonderful! Goes straight to my TBR-pile until I'm back from holidays and have time to delve into it.

Journal Entry 6 by sakirmo at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi Finland on Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Released 1 yr ago (1/1/2013 UTC) at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi Finland

Took me a bit longer to read this than I thought, but I've really enjoyed it! Possibly one of the best travel books I've ever read, very insightful and had a good balance between serious and funny, with lots of interesting facts about India and its customs & religions. Which is not surprising I guess, given that the author is a journalist and lived in India for a couple of years, instead of just passing through as a backpacker... Now I'm sending it as a RABCK to another Bookcrosser who has it on her wishlist - happy 2013! :)

Journal Entry 7 by eggs2805 at Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on Friday, February 01, 2013

Thank you so much for sending it to me, Sakirmo!! I've just come back from 2 weeks vacation so I wasn't able to journal it before.

I'm looking forward to reading this book a lot. I kept hearing about it while I was travelling around India some time ago and have wanted to read it ever since!

Journal Entry 8 by eggs2805 at Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on Friday, June 07, 2013

A very insightful book on Indian culture and it's many different religions. Although, I find something is missing, it's not so much on travel but rather a stationary search.

Will be released soon.

Journal Entry 9 by eggs2805 at Tea-room Le Délice - rue de Bourg in Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on Saturday, May 24, 2014

Released 3 mos ago (5/24/2014 UTC) at Tea-room Le Délice - rue de Bourg in Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland

...