corner corner The Ha-Ha: A Novel

The Ha-Ha: A Novel
by Dave King | Literature & Fiction
Registered by quietorchid of Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on 5/4/2012

status (set by MyChildsCloset): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by quietorchid from Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Friday, May 04, 2012

Wonderful book. Howard comes back from Vietnam with a severe head injury. Can't read, talk. Slowly rebuilds a life, living in his parent's old house. Takes in lodgers to make ends meet and works as a groundskeeper at a convent. He drifts. What communication is possible? How can you build bridges without communication?

His one contact from when he was 18 and was a 'real' person who could talk is Slyvia. The girl who didn't wait for him, and drifted away into her own life and drugs by the time he came back. Now she's off to rehab and in a fit of pique drops her 9 year old son onto Howard's household for a few days. Howard and his house mates will not be the same after the experience. And no, there is no saccharine Shirley Temple style transformations here. Instead a wonderful book on change, growth and realization.

Journal Entry 2 by quietorchid at Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Monday, May 14, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (5/14/2012 UTC) at Saint Paul, Minnesota USA

Sent off to MyChildsCloset, from Team Battleship, as part of the Monopoly Game from Team TopHat. This is our release for the Community Chest. I hope you enjoy it, it's a truly wonderful book.

Welcome to Bookcrossing, where Books roam freely! I hope you enjoy the book, and leave a journal entry so I can see where the book ended up. You can remain anonymous if you'd like, or join and follow the book's travels throughout the world! If you join, please mention me, quietorchid, or any other journaller as the referring member. The site is free, secure, and non-spamming. Take a look around, and then go read!

Journal Entry 3 by MyChildsCloset at Hamilton, Virginia USA on Saturday, May 19, 2012

I received this book from quietorchild as part of Team Tophat's Monopoly Challenge. Thank you very much, and I can't wait to read it!