corner corner Love in Amsterdam (Inspector Van Der Valk)

Love in Amsterdam (Inspector Van Der Valk)
by Nicholas Freeling | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by aetm of Austin, Texas USA on 5/2/2012

status (set by eastbaybookmisr): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by aetm from Austin, Texas USA on Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Alluring, unstable, and frantically self-absorbed, Elsa de Charmoy was a dangerous woman, and now she's a dead one, shot with a gun bought by her former lover. Sulking in an Amsterdam jail, he swears it's been years since he saw Elsa, but Inspector Van der Valk isn?t quite ready to be persuaded. Like Inspector Maigret (to whom he is often compared), Van der Valk tends to pick apart the details, ideally over a good meal. And while Van der Valk's ruminations may frustrate his more action-minded colleagues, they inevitably yield a surprising resolution.

Freeling is/was an Englishman, and Love in Amsterdam was first published in 1962, this print 2005. I love exploring new detectives around the world, and Van der Valk reminded me of some of the others from the central Europe a while back, Maigret to the Amsterdam ones.

Journal Entry 2 by aetm at North Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Saturday, August 04, 2012

Released 6 yrs ago (8/4/2012 UTC) at North Vancouver, British Columbia Canada

In the mail to jumpingin who picked the book from the Mystery & Thriller VBB. Enjoy! :)

Journal Entry 3 by wingjumpinginwing at Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Thanks so much--for the book and the postcards!

Journal Entry 4 by wingjumpinginwing at Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Friday, April 29, 2016

Thanks so much for sharing! Although I've never read a mystery set in the Netherlands, this reminded me of other European mysteries of the time.

Journal Entry 5 by wingjumpinginwing at Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Sunday, December 04, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (12/3/2016 UTC) at Vancouver, British Columbia Canada

Sent as a wishlist RABCK to eastbaybookmisr. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 6 by eastbaybookmisr at Oakland, California USA on Saturday, December 10, 2016

"Caught" this in the mail today as a Wishlist RABCK! Thank you!

2005 Felony & Mayhem trade paperback of the 1962 mystery. This was on my list of best debut mysteries to read.

Edit April 19, 2018: A short little mystery. I currently have this ranked at #742 on my ranked list of best-read books lately.

Journal Entry 7 by eastbaybookmisr at Little Free Library at 403 Perkins Street in Oakland, California USA on Thursday, April 19, 2018

Released 5 mos ago (4/19/2018 UTC) at Little Free Library at 403 Perkins Street in Oakland, California USA

... in the box.