corner corner P.C. Tuesdays with Morrie: An Old Man, a Young Man, and Life's Greatest Lesson

P.C. Tuesdays with Morrie: An Old Man, a Young Man, and Life's Greatest Lesson
by Mitch Albom | Religion & Spirituality
Registered by llsylvester of Camdenton, Missouri USA on Saturday, November 01, 2003

status (set by llsylvester): permanent collection

Journal Entry 1 by llsylvester from Camdenton, Missouri USA on Saturday, November 01, 2003

Read this book for a book discussion group and really enjoyed it. This is part of my personal library so I wont be releasing into the wild. However I am going to try and start a book ring for this book. I am new to book crossing and this will be my first experience with a book ring.

Journal Entry 2 by llsylvester from Camdenton, Missouri USA on Monday, November 03, 2003

Book Ring Started. This is my first one! I am so excited.
Joined so far:
Morgail Louisville, KY

Journal Entry 3 by llsylvester from Camdenton, Missouri USA on Wednesday, November 05, 2003

Ok here we go!! Final reading / shipping list for the book ring:

Morgail
cytronella
reader1212
fanclub

Then back to me...

Everyone Enjoy !! Try to read and pass on in a timely manner... Please try not to keep the book more than two weeks. Thanks !! If you could make a journal entry when you receive the book that would be great, that way we know it is safe with you. And not lost in the mail some were...
After you have read it we would love for you to journal what you thought about the book and then the next person on the list will know to be expecting it.. :-)

Journal Entry 4 by Morgail from Louisville, Kentucky USA on Wednesday, November 12, 2003

Just got the book in the mail today. Looking forward to reading it:)

Journal Entry 5 by Morgail from Louisville, Kentucky USA on Monday, November 17, 2003

What an amazing little book. It was very sad (make sure you have a lot of kleenex for this one!), but also very uplifting. Morrie truly had a wonderful outlook on life. I loved his little nuggets of wisdom. My favorite: "Devote yourself to loving others, devote yourself to your community around you, and devote yourself to creating something that gives you purpose and meaning." (p. 127)

November 21--Sending to BookFrog in Australia today.

Journal Entry 6 by BookFrog from Albion Park, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, February 03, 2004

This finally came today... well could have been tomorrow *ahem* I mean yesterday (don't try and write journal entries after you go drinking cocktails with other bookcrossers) but I just went home today and found it there waiting for me as well as the new book labels! Yay! Will start reading ASAP... arg so many books but been waiting so long for this!

Thank you llsylvester!

Journal Entry 7 by BookFrog from Albion Park, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, February 12, 2004

A beautiful story about a beautiful man... I described the story to someone else and they asked me why I was not crying but it is not a sad book for all that it is about dying for it is also uplifting in that it is about life and rediscovery.

Full of many beautiful themes. Perhaps I need to do a reread before posting off again.

Clawida has asked me to skip her so on to the next person.

Journal Entry 8 by BookFrog from Albion Park, New South Wales Australia on Friday, March 05, 2004

Posted on Thursday, would have been Friday but with new laws and no longer able to slip parcels into postal slots *sigh* and forgetting the addy

But it's on its way now!

Journal Entry 9 by BookFrog from Albion Park, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, March 10, 2004

One last from me. Had to write a bookreview for church newsletter, chose this book. So a longer review of book - here goes. *not saying it is good or anything just thought I would add to my short version*

Tuesdays with Morrie: an old man, a young man and life’s greatest lesson
by Mitch Albom

This book struck a chord with me. It’s about the young man of the title re-establishing contact with an old university professor. The reason he has re-established contact is Morrie – the old man of the title – is dying. He’s dying of ALS, Lou Gherig’s Syndrome which means your muscles start wasting away and you slowly lose the ability to use them starting from the legs on up until your lungs stop functioning.

Morrie instead of striking out at life and becoming bitter decides to embrace life and death and share the last moments of his life with everyone, encouraging them, helping them and passing on the wisdom of his life.

I described the story to someone else and they asked me why I was not crying. I explained to them although it is a sad theme, the mood is too powerful to be upsetting. Morrie is a strong man who relishes life and does not want those around him to be sad. It is an uplifting book in that it is about life and rediscovery. This book is full of many beautiful themes, quoting the wisdom of a beautiful man.

His ex-student –the author- asks him many questions about living, dying, love, family and those all important questions. As the book continues Morrie’s situation worsens but he never turns away people who come to see him. Instead he continues to embrace his situation, finding every opportunity to learn even when he must rely on others to help him in all the basic functions of life and I mean /all/.

He talks about how material possessions don’t get us far, especially when we cannot take them with us. The way to become rich is to share our time with people, especially with those who have nothing but you don’t have to give much, just what you have – your time and energy.

This book is not very long and seemingly simply written but it makes you think and pretty much as soon as I put it down, I picked it back up again, wanting to reread. Currently my Mt TBR (Mount To Be Read) is toppling but I could not miss the opportunity to reread Morrie’s ideas, especially as the book had travelled from the USA to me and was on its way to Europe *or so I thought* after me.

Journal Entry 10 by weeblet from Jacksonville, Florida USA on Thursday, March 11, 2004

got it, and *man* it was like christmas! thanks for the goodies, BookFrog :) i'm assuming it's a take one, pass it around type thing. yay!

Journal Entry 11 by weeblet from Jacksonville, Florida USA on Sunday, March 14, 2004

whew. just finished, and i am, to say the least, a little farklempt.
i found the beginning to be a little sappy-smarmy, but as i got into it, i thought 'truer words were never spoken...' the chapters that resonated the most with me were 'we talk about money', and 'we talk about our culture'. it's pretty much *exactly* how i thik of it.
the little story near the end about the waves knocked my socks off :)
thanks for sharing, llsylvester :)
i think i need to buy this book....

**mailed 3/19**

Journal Entry 12 by WarEagle78 from Hoover, Alabama USA on Wednesday, August 04, 2004

Arrived in mail yesterday from jms1970us, even though that reader did not journal. Will journal again when read. Thanks!

Journal Entry 13 by WarEagle78 from Hoover, Alabama USA on Thursday, August 26, 2004

A heart-felt story about a man yanked from his fast-paced, successful lifestyle to spend some time with a dying college professor. Not always profound or groundbreaking, Morrie is a memorable character who dies as well as he lived.

Journal Entry 14 by WarEagle78 from Hoover, Alabama USA on Saturday, August 28, 2004

In mail today to next reader. Thanks again for sharing!

Journal Entry 15 by fanclub from Baltimore, Maryland USA on Thursday, September 16, 2004

Received today. This is the third bookring book in my lineup, but I should be getting to it pretty soon.

Journal Entry 16 by fanclub from Baltimore, Maryland USA on Monday, November 29, 2004

On its way back to llsylvester.

Journal Entry 17 by llsylvester from Camdenton, Missouri USA on Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Safe back on my book shelf. Thanks everyone for making my first book ring a success.. Gald you all enjoyed the book.