corner corner The Shipping News

The Shipping News
by Annie Proulx | Literature & Fiction
Registered by KaKo27 of Sarisbury Green, Hampshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 18, 2012

status (set by Bloedengel): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by KaKo27 from Sarisbury Green, Hampshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 18, 2012

I read this book in German shortly after it came out in the early 1990s. I loved it. I loved the character of the protagonist Quoyle, how he, the eternal loser, slowly manages to turn his live round and make it better and with that change the live of his daughters and his aunt as well. It is a positive story about hope, and that nothing, as bad as it may look, cannot change for the better. I loved all the quirky personalities of the people living in that far corner of Newfoundland. Everyone of them is being described full of empathy by Annie Proulx.
I recommended the book out of all these memories to my mother, who tried to read it and absolutely hated it. She didn't like the language, the live circumstances of the people and the whole point of the book.
I started to doubt my judgement from years ago and read it again, and was reassured. This book is great.
I bought this copy for bookcrossing.

From Amazon:

Quoyle is a hapless, hopeless hack journalist living and working in New York. When his no-good wife is killed in a spectacular road accident, Quoyle heads for the land of his forefathers -- the remotest corner of far-flung Newfoundland. With 'the aunt' and his delinquent daughters -- Bunny and Sunshine -- in tow, Quoyle finds himself part of an unfolding, exhilarating Atlantic drama. 'The Shipping News' is an irresistible comedy of human life and possibility.

This copy has a different cover.

Journal Entry 2 by KaKo27 at Virtual book box, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Thursday, May 03, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (5/3/2012 UTC) at Virtual book box, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Sent off today to greenbadger. I hope you will enjoy the book as much as I did.

Journal Entry 3 by winggreenbadgerwing at Kings Langley, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Friday, May 04, 2012

Received from General Fiction VBB, thank you KaKo27!

Quoyle is a friendless failure in life until his unfaithful wife is killed in a car crash. His aunt takes him and his two daughters back to her roots on the coast of Newfoundland, no place for the fainthearted, where fishing and boats are at the heart of life and the land is ice-locked for months every winter. The ancestral Quoyles are legendary wildmen, wreckers, incestuous and mad. In this tough country Quoyle discovers a true community, comes to terms with his past, finds his strength and himself and discovers that love does not have to be painful. Thoroughly recommended - if you haven't read this, read it.

Journal Entry 4 by winggreenbadgerwing at Hendon, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, December 27, 2012

Released 1 yr ago (12/27/2012 UTC) at Hendon, Greater London United Kingdom

Sent to Bloedengel as a book swap. Enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 5 by wingBloedengelwing at Turnhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Monday, January 07, 2013

Thank you very much. The swap - to be- book is high on the tbr list and will come to you soonest.