corner corner Slumdog Millionaire: A Novel

Slumdog Millionaire: A Novel
by Vikas Swarup | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, April 16, 2012

status (set by Silvernfire): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, April 16, 2012

I found this fair-condition trade paperback on the bargain shelf at Barnes and Noble, and decided to pick it up. It's the novel (formerly published as q&a) that inspired the 2008 film.

I'd read rave reviews of the book and the movie, but I'm never sure that my own opinion will match. But in this case the book's worth the praise! It's an unusual mix of funny, charming, twisty, and gut-wrenchingly depressing - hard to pull off... From the opening ("I have been arrested. For winning a quiz show.") I loved main character Thomas' rather deadpan tone, even in the face of horrible events - and the book starts out with some very nasty ones, as he undergoes torture from the police chief who wants him to confess that he cheated. I read this and was thinking "Wait, this was praised as an upbeat story, wasn't it? Is this the same story?" But soon events took their first of many swerves, and I happily went along for the ride. There were more surprises in store for me, right up to the end, and I enjoyed them all. Excellent book!

[There's a TV Tropes page on the film, and another on the novel, but if you haven't read the book or seen the film first, beware of spoilers.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (4/17/2012 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

This book's going into my Based on the Book bookbox, with this book serving as the bookbox journal. The box will be on the way to the first participant soon. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by haahaahaa98 at Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, April 21, 2012

Found in the "Based on the Book" bookbox.

I did watch the movie for this book, but somehow not so compelled to read the book.

Journal Entry 4 by haahaahaa98 at Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Friday, April 27, 2012

Released 1 yr ago (4/29/2012 UTC) at Cambridge, Massachusetts USA

To be released as part of the "Based on the Book" bookbox. Sending it off!

Journal Entry 5 by wingDrSlump612wing at Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Sunday, May 06, 2012

Took this from the Based on the Book bookbox, and I'm about halfway through -
loving it so far.
eta - some of the plot twists were rather contrived, but it was very enjoyable.
Will take it to this month's meetup.

Journal Entry 6 by Silvernfire at Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Sunday, May 20, 2012

Received at a Twin Cities meetup. I enjoyed the movie; didn't know that it was based on a book.

Journal Entry 7 by Silvernfire at Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Sunday, September 16, 2012

Darn. Another one of those books that I want to read but just can't get into. I'm setting it free so that it can have a more interesting life than just gathering dust on my bookshelf.

Journal Entry 8 by Silvernfire at Gingko Coffee Shop - Snelling and Minnehaha in Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Sunday, September 16, 2012

Released 1 yr ago (9/16/2012 UTC) at Gingko Coffee Shop - Snelling and Minnehaha in Saint Paul, Minnesota USA

Left in the OBCZ bookcase.