corner corner The Opposite of Falling

The Opposite of Falling
by Jennie Rooney | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingNu-Kneeswing of Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, April 15, 2012

status (set by Blower): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingNu-Kneeswing from Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, April 15, 2012

When I saw my friend and neighbour who sometimes BookCrosses as Blower this afternoon, she offered me my choice of books from a couple of carrier-bagsful she'd been given by a mutual friend! We do like to keep our books moving!
I chose this one because I was drawn to the cover art (how shallow!), both front and back, and the reference on the inside front flap to hot air balloon rides over Niagara Falls. Looks and sounds delightful!

Amazon Editorial Review: "Costa-shortlisted author Jennie Rooney takes her readers back to the first giddying days of human flight in her much-anticipated follow-up to bittersweet wartime love story Inside the Whale.
At Niagara Falls, one of the attractions is a red and blue striped hot air balloon offering rides over the rushing water. The balloon is a day job for Toby O'Hara, a young man whose night work is to continue to perfect his father's design for a flying machine.
On the other side of the Atlantic, Ursula Bridgewater, an independent woman from Liverpool, is ungraciously dumped by her fiancé, Henry Springton. Ursula turns to the thrill of travel as an escape, and her sights are soon set on Thomas
Cook's famous new tour of America. She chooses a young orphan, Sally Walker, as her travelling companion, but Sally is never going to be quite as prepared for the land of freedom and opportunity as Ursula - and certainly not ready to accept Toby O'Hara's invitation to see Niagara from a great height.
The Opposite of Falling confirms Costa-shortlisted Jennie Rooney as an author with a remarkable and rare talent. In this billowing love story, told with tender wit and a distinctive turn of phrase, Rooney's indomitable characters are lifted by small acts of bravery to find -- surprised and heartened -- that what once seemed terrifying is in fact just the opposite..."

Journal Entry 2 by wingNu-Kneeswing at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, June 17, 2012

A light-hearted, charming and fun read, giving life and substance to the Victorians' excitement about the possibility of flight.
In 1872 Ursula Bridgewater takes the orphan Sally Walker with her as companion and maid on a Cook's Tour to America, where they meet Toby O'Hara who's offering rides in his tethered hot air balloon above Niagara Falls, while building a flying machine, its design inspired by a stuffed bat ....
Brought back happy memories of my own visit to the Falls which included taking a helicopter to view them from above :-)
Now reserved to be returned to Blower who passed it to me unread!

Journal Entry 3 by wingNu-Kneeswing at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Saturday, June 23, 2012

Released 1 yr ago (6/23/2012 UTC) at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom

Passed back to blower!

Over a million people around the world give their books a unique BookCrossing IDentity number (BCID) before sending them out to find new readers. Since the start of the scheme in April 2001 well over 9 million such books have been put into circulation. This is one of them!
Our hope is that we can track the progress of our books once they've left our hands - and that's possible if finders like you visit the website, key in the BCID and leave a comment, however long or short. It's fun, it doesn't cost anything and you can remain anonymous if you wish. You don't have to join but if you do you'll be able to number and track your own books!

Journal Entry 4 by Blower at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, August 17, 2012

Another book passed back to me by Nu-Knees. It is really handy living next door to a keen reader!

A nice easy read with three main and very different characters that eventually come together.

Hopefully on it's way to Newcastle to be released.

I agree with Nu-Knees - great cover.