corner corner Five Quarters of the Orange

Five Quarters of the Orange
by Joanne Harris | Literature & Fiction
Registered by stringofpearls of Escondido, California USA on Friday, April 13, 2012

status (set by bookstogive): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by stringofpearls from Escondido, California USA on Friday, April 13, 2012

I read this a few years ago and liked it, then gave it away. Picked up another copy this morning at my library's shop after seeing it on bookstogive's wishlist.

Journal Entry 2 by stringofpearls at Escondido, California USA on Friday, April 13, 2012

Released 4 yrs ago (4/16/2012 UTC) at Escondido, California USA

On its way to bookstogive for Wishlist Tag Game.

Journal Entry 3 by wingbookstogivewing at Springville, Tennessee USA on Wednesday, April 18, 2012

I received this great book today in the mail as part of the Wishlist Tag Game, thanks so much for "tagging" me! I am really looking forward to reading it as I have heard good things about the author.

Amazon Editorial Review

In her bestselling and critically acclaimed novel Chocolat, Joanne Harris told a lush story of the conflicts between pleasure and repression. Now she delivers her most complex and sophisticated work yet, an unforgettable tale of mothers and daughters, of the past and the present, of resisting and succumbing -- an extraordinary work of fiction lined with darkness and fierce joy.

When Framboise Simon returns to a small village on the banks of the Loire, the locals do not recognize her as the daughter of the infamous woman they hold responsible for a tragedy during the German occupation years ago. But the past and present are inextricably entwined, particularly in a scrapbook of recipes and memories that Framboise has inherited from her mother. And soon Framboise will realize that the journal also contains the key to the tragedy that indelibly marked that summer of her ninth year....