corner corner Silk

Silk
by Alessandro Baricco | Literature & Fiction
Registered by DubaiReader of Dubai, Dubai United Arab Emirates on 4/12/2012

status (set by Esme-Weatherwax): reserved

Journal Entry 1 by DubaiReader from Dubai, Dubai United Arab Emirates on Thursday, April 12, 2012

This is a duplicate copy of a book that I really wanted to read and so ended up buying it twice !!
It is off to Oppem for the Wish List Tag Game, I hope you enjoy it Oppem :)

Journal Entry 2 by DubaiReader at Dubai, Dubai United Arab Emirates on Monday, July 16, 2012

Sadly, I was remiss in sending this book out and now it is no longer possible to send it to Oppem.
However, in the spirit of passing on books from her WL and of keeping her name remembered on BC, I am now offering this as a bookray if anyone is interested.
It's a short read, only 112 pages, so hopefully it can travel fairly quickly.

Here is the thread so readers can see who should receive the book next:

Thanks.

Journal Entry 3 by footymadgill at Croydon, Surrey United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 04, 2012

Book arrived safe and sound...together with the colouring book which I will pass along with the book once read...thank you for sharing.

Journal Entry 4 by footymadgill at Croydon, Surrey United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 12, 2012

This is not the usual sort of book that I read but I really enjoyed this one.It was short and simple and highly recommended.

Journal Entry 5 by footymadgill at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Thursday, September 13, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (9/12/2012 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Sent on to the next person in the ring...I hope you enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by JoolsW at Haworth, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, September 14, 2012

Many thanks - the book arrived here safe and sound yesterday, along with the Jenny Joseph poem book. I'm close to finishing my current read, so hope to be able to start this one soon.

Journal Entry 7 by JoolsW at Haworth, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, September 30, 2012

Short, simple, poetic. An intriguing story, elegantly told.

Thank you for sharing - this is a lovely book to honour Oppem.

Journal Entry 8 by JoolsW at Fellow Bookcrosser, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, October 11, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (10/10/2012 UTC) at Fellow Bookcrosser, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

This book is now in the post to the next person in line.

Happy Reading!

Journal Entry 9 by wingCassiopaeiawing at Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, October 12, 2012

Arrived today and next up on mount TBR! Thank you for sharing.

Journal Entry 10 by wingCassiopaeiawing at Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, October 22, 2012

Charming and haunting by turns. I'm sure oppem would have appreciated it. I found the ending very touching. Thank you DubaiReader for sending this little book travelling. I believe I wouldn't have come across it otherwise.

Have just PMed the next on the list
Highlight the above, right click and open link.

Journal Entry 11 by wingCassiopaeiawing at Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (10/25/2012 UTC) at Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom

Read and Release at BookCrossing.com...
In the post to the next recipient.

Journal Entry 12 by Flutterbies9 at Meare, Somerset United Kingdom on Friday, October 26, 2012

Received with thanks. Woops, once again, started reading this as I've come in to journal its arrival! It does not look like this will take too long to get through, despite the fact that I'm already reading another ring book.

Journal Entry 13 by Flutterbies9 at Meare, Somerset United Kingdom on Monday, November 05, 2012

Somehow, I managed to put this down again until I'd finished the other ring book I was half way through. Then, despite the fact that I've got my book club on Wednesday and had hardly started the book, I picked up this and read it. I loved it, really enjoyed it. In fact, I appreciated this one so much I've re-read it again! (It is a very quick read, honestly).

This is beautifully written and haunting in its simple, exquisite language. It is a brilliant example of "less is more". The ending was so wonderful and sad by turns but so fitting for the tale itself.

Perhaps you can tell I appreciated this and I'm sure Oppem would have loved it too. I've sent a pm for details to the next in line and am awaiting a reply.

Journal Entry 14 by Flutterbies9 at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Monday, November 12, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (11/12/2012 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Hope you enjoy this. Happy travels little book!

Journal Entry 15 by 4evagreen at Whaley Bridge, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Had actually forgotten about this book so when it arrived it was a very pleasant surprise. Thanks for sharing.

Journal Entry 16 by 4evagreen at Whaley Bridge, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Friday, November 16, 2012

“Perhaps sometimes life shows you a side of itself which leaves you with nothing more to say”

Let me just start by stating that this was a book that I did not expected to enjoy and only read it because it was on the 1001 list. However, I was very surprised by it. Firstly I read it in sitting which is most unusual, yes it is only a light read only 140 0r so pages long but I found myself totally engrossed with it.

The story is based around a young Frenchman in the 1860s who is involved in the silk trade, travelling around buying silkworms for the mills in his home town. When disease starts to kill off the usual supplies of worms, Herve Jancour is sent to Japan just as the country is being forcibly opened up to outside trade. On arrival Jancour becomes obsessed with the concupine of his new supplier's concupine despite being unable to communicate with her looking forward to his return trip each year despite having a wife back at home and having a fairly relaxed way of life. When war breaks out in Japan Jancour's dreams seem to be falling apart. In the end Jancour settles into a contented routine with his wife in France but there was always a wistful part of him that wanted more. Perhaps it was meant as a metaphor for no matter how happy we may feel to be we are all dreaming of something more of perfection. At first I found it hard to imagine how a man could fall for a woman that he could not even talk to let alone touch but later realised that obsession is not so easy to appreciate.

I loved the author's sparse yet rich use on language which had a deeply poetic feel about it with barely a word wasted. On each trip back to Japan there was a fair bit of repetition but this with subtle differences seemed to only enhance to coming action and I certainly got the impression that Baricco rather had fun playing around with it.

As I stated I had not initially expected to enjoy this book but in the end felt it was a little gem and certainly made me think about what exactly is the definition of true love.

Journal Entry 17 by 4evagreen at Whaley Bridge, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Friday, November 16, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (11/16/2012 UTC) at Whaley Bridge, Derbyshire United Kingdom

On its way to Germany next. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 18 by grovalskii at Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany on Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Just received the book today. thank you!

Journal Entry 19 by grovalskii at Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany on Thursday, November 29, 2012

This was a very quick and enjoyable read. Thanks for sharing!

The order of the bookring got changed a bit. The book will go to the UK next.

Journal Entry 20 by grovalskii at Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany on Monday, December 03, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (12/3/2012 UTC) at Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany

Off to the next reader!

Journal Entry 21 by madmadge at Christchurch, Dorset United Kingdom on Thursday, December 13, 2012

The book was waiting for me when I got home from walking Gem on a very cold and windy beach this afternoon. I will read it as soon as I can and pass it on to whoever is next on the list.

Journal Entry 22 by madmadge at Christchurch, Dorset United Kingdom on Friday, December 21, 2012

This lovely little book was thoroughly enjoyable and easy to read. Despite the repitition, I loved it and gobbled it up in a couple of days. Very atmospheric and moving and quite informative. I'm glad I got the chance to read it. I will wait until after Christmas to post it on to its next reader along with the colouring book.

Journal Entry 23 by madmadge at Christchurch, Dorset United Kingdom on Monday, January 07, 2013

Released 5 yrs ago (1/7/2013 UTC) at Christchurch, Dorset United Kingdom

This book is on its way to Tsjara in the Netherlands today.

Journal Entry 24 by Tsjara at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Arrived here safely on this snowy day, together with the little poem/colouring book. Thanks Madmadge for sending and the beautiful card!
I have a couple of other books in front, but will try to get to it soon.
Thanks for organizing the bookray DubaiReader!

Journal Entry 25 by Tsjara at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, February 19, 2013

I really liked this beautifully written little book, a bit dreamlike and sad. It is kind of strange how with using few words, and with the repetitions, it can still tell a story that feels so.. I don't know.. full?

I have received esme-weatherwax's address and will mail the 2 books together tomorrow.

Journal Entry 26 by Tsjara at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Released 5 yrs ago (2/19/2013 UTC) at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands

Now on its way to Esme-Weatherwax (together with the little poem book).
Enjoy!

Journal Entry 27 by Esme-Weatherwax at Limerick, Co. Limerick Ireland on Monday, February 25, 2013

Silk arrived. I have a few ring books before this one. My husband may read it before I get a chance to get to it.

Journal Entry 28 by Esme-Weatherwax at Limerick, Co. Limerick Ireland on Tuesday, April 30, 2013

I really enjoyed this little book. I can not put my finger on the exact reasons why I liked it. I liked the fact that the chapters were short. I also really liked the tone of the book, the voice of it so to say.