corner corner Mockingjay

Mockingjay
by Suzanne Collins | Teens
Registered by cinnamon-quill of New York City, New York USA on Wednesday, April 11, 2012

status (set by futurecat): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by cinnamon-quill from New York City, New York USA on Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Warning: Spoilers for 'The Hunger Games' and 'Catching Fire.'

Katniss has been the Capitol's pawn in the Games. Now she has been claimed by the rebels and District 13 to be their face for the revolution - the Mockingjay. What is she willing to risk?

'Mockingjay' is the stunning conclusion to The Hunger Games trilogy. I was nervous up until the last moment as to whether I would find the ending satisfactory but I did. It just proves the extent to which I connected with the story and character that I was concerned it would prove to be underwhelming. While I do not think the trilogy is perfect, I am impressed by how the emotional tension is sustained throughout and the stakes continue to escalate until the very end.

This novel allows readers to further see the dynamic between Katniss and Gale. There is something of a splice of the relationship they once had and the events that have torn them in different directions. Gale has never been more prominent than in 'Mockingjay.' While it was interestiong to see more of him, it was too little too late for me to develop any attachment to his character.

Peeta is my favourite character in the trilogy, alongside Katniss. The stakes escalated for his character - both emotionally and physically - and my hands were shaking in anticipation and nervousness of what was to be his fate.

Johanna and Finnick were hinted in 'Catching Fire' to be more than they originally appeared. There was further insight into their characters in 'Mockingjay.' I particularly felt drawn to Finnick, whose first appearance in the series made him seem egotistic and shallow. He is quite contrary to that original depiction.

We get to see more of Katniss' sister, Prim, in this book. While there is still much of the young girl we have known, there is also the juxtaposition of a new maturity she has. Things have taken their toll on her and she has found strength in her fragility, a strength she can bring out when even her sister looks like she might crumble.

One thing that didn't really hit home for me until 'Mockingjay' was the twisted look at reality television. Strange, since the Games are all about prompting children to kill each other and broadcasting it live but I found the way in which media was used for propaganda by District 13 to be quite startling. Katniss is dolled up and dolled down and given scripts and scenarios to act out - something she isn't cut out for. However, even through all this forced reality, it is only when Katniss speaks her mind and is herself that there is a power behind what she does.

I'm not a sucker for happily ever afters, I prefer satisfying endings. What that means will always differ but I personally found the end of The Hunger Games trilogy to be satisfactory. I can now readily recommend the series as a whole and look forward to reading Suzanne Collins' 'Gregor the Overlander' series.

In accordance with the FTC, I would like to disclose that I purchased this book. The opinions expressed are mine and no monetary compensation was offered to me by the author or publisher.

(From my blog: Quill Café)

If you find this book, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Please read it and share your thoughts here. Then, pass it on to others so that it can be experienced far and wide. ♥

Registered in Manhattan, NYC, USA.

Journal Entry 2 by waterdragon52 at New York City, New York USA on Friday, April 13, 2012

Loved this final book in the trilogy as much as the previous two - another hard-to-put down read and I thought all ends were tied together very well. I'm now keen to read more by Suzanne Collins.

Journal Entry 3 by wingfuturecatwing at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Sunday, April 22, 2012

Yayyy!!! Finally got to finish reading the trilogy after begging this book off cinnamon-quill at the Dublin convention.

I have to say I didn't enjoy it quite as much as the earlier two, although I can't quite put my finger on why (maybe it was just knowing it was the last and that I wouldn't have another one to look forward to). It was still a great book though, and a lovely closure to a great series.

^ ^
=+=

Journal Entry 4 by wingfuturecatwing at University of Canterbury, English Building in Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Released 1 yr ago (5/16/2012 UTC) at University of Canterbury, English Building in Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand

On the free books table outside the English department.

Happy bookcrossing to the finder!

^ ^
=+=
v

P.S. If you live in the Christchurch area, you might like to join us at our monthly bookcrossing meetups. For details, see the BCNZ Yahoo Group