corner corner The Dilemma of a ghost

The Dilemma of a ghost
by Ama Ata Aidoo | Literature & Fiction
Registered by boekenman of Landgraaf, Limburg Netherlands on 4/10/2012

status (set by okyrhoe): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by boekenman from Landgraaf, Limburg Netherlands on Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Hello there, You found a book, Congratulations !
I hope it is something you like, if not then at least it brought you to this website; feel free to look around.
If you would like to know where the book was before you found it or if you want to know who is reading it after you have set it free then please go to www.bookcrossing.com and join bookcrossing. (totaly free!!)
You can join bookcrossing anonymous or use a screenname.
I would like, if you decide to register, if you would enter my name "Boekenman "reffered by".

Journal Entry 2 by boekenman at Dublin Convention 2012 in Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on Saturday, April 14, 2012

Released 6 yrs ago (4/14/2012 UTC) at Dublin Convention 2012 in Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland

Released at Dublin 2012 convention

Journal Entry 3 by wingolagoriewing at Oberursel, Hessen Germany on Saturday, April 14, 2012

I am really looking forward to reading this book :-)

Journal Entry 4 by wingolagoriewing at Oberursel, Hessen Germany on Sunday, July 22, 2012

Now I have finished reading. Thank you so much for bringing this book to Dublin!

There are actually 2 stories in this book, "The dilemma of the ghost" and "Anowa".

The Dilemma of a Ghost centres around Ato Yawson, a Ghanaian who recently completed his studies in the United States and returns home with an American bride, Eulalie. Eulalie doesn't quite fit into the African lifestyle. Ato, the scholar, is highly regarded for his accomplishments, but there are also expectations on him now, and it is difficult to balance them with wilful Eulalie's needs and desires.

Aidoo presents the story quite well, balancing the action between the couple (and the family) with dialogues between two village women who provide a different perspective on events. Some of the dialogue is also quite good.

---

The strong, wilful title character of Anowa causes her family concern because she is not yet married as the play begins, "six years after her puberty". An independent spirit, Anowa has her own ideas. She does find a man to marry -- Kofi Ako -- but her parents (and especially her mother) are disappointed by her choice.

Fairly well written, neatly presented and with some interesting characters in Anowa and Kofi Ako, Anowa is a fairly powerful piece of theatre. The strange fates of the couple, and the odd way of getting to this moral are a bit peculiar, but there is decent drama to it. Entertaining.

----

I liked both a lot. A very different kind of writing / literature, the way of telling the stories, very "exotic". The stories are a combination of tragedy, fun...

From the back of the book:

These two witty and perceptive social dramas are sympathetic and honest explorations of the conflicts between the individualism of westernised culture and the social traditions of Africa. Both plays have been performed throughout the world.

Counts for Ghana.

Journal Entry 5 by wingolagoriewing at Oberursel, Hessen Germany on Saturday, December 08, 2012

This is a ring.

1. holle77
2. husky
3. Andrasthe
4. okyrhoe

and than back to me please. (PM me for my adress)

Journal Entry 6 by wingholle77wing at Selm, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Thursday, December 20, 2012

The Book arrived this morning in my Packstation and I could fetch it on the start into my holidays. Thanks a lot for sending.

Journal Entry 7 by wingholle77wing at Selm, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Monday, February 04, 2013

I didn't like it as much as olagorie, perhaps because I don't like very much to read plays (neither in German nor in English) but as for the Challenge it was quite good to read.

Journal Entry 8 by wingholle77wing at Selm, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Wednesday, February 06, 2013

Geht Freitag auf die Weiterreise.

Journal Entry 9 by winghuskywing at Rheinstetten, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Wednesday, February 13, 2013

thank you for sending this book. I am surprised that it is a screenplay but I am curious :)

Journal Entry 10 by winghuskywing at Rheinstetten, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Tuesday, March 19, 2013

I felt reminded about Bertold Brecht's educational plays, for I think both pieces carry a strong educational moral. It is about conflicts between older and younger generation and , in the case of Dilemma of a Ghost, about the misunderstanding between native culture in a Ghana village and people coming back home from having lived in a big city in the US. Maybe the pieces play a little bit too much with clichees.
I found that the explicit stage directions are a remarkable difference to common European stage plays, where there is usually more freedom of interpretation and of creativity for the director.

Journal Entry 11 by wingAndrasthewing at Klagenfurt, Kärnten Austria on Thursday, March 21, 2013

I received the book today and will start it soon :)

23.03.2013:

I enjoyed both plays very much and I wish I had the opportunity to see them live. The fact that prejudices on both sides of the fence were depicted and dealt with in the first play was a huge plus. Ato's family thinks Eulalie is not good enough, because she descends from slaves and Eulalie believes Ato's family's traditions savage and backwards. The culture clash the story centers around works only through Ato himself. He is the bridge - culturally and language-wise. Only at the end do the women get a little closer, thereby ironically excluding Ato to a point.

The second play evolves around a woman who despite her family's warnings, chooses her own path. This is even more about the relation between collective and individual as the first play. It also ends rather bleakly.
Both plays were framed by independent narrators - boy and girl/old man/old women. They provided a kind of chorus and helped out with timelines and plot-points.

Thank you for including me, I liked reading this book, especially as it was my first from Ghana a lot :)

Journal Entry 12 by okyrhoe at Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Tuesday, April 09, 2013

Arrived in Athens. Thanks Andrasthe for posting the book to me and olagorie for including me in the ring!

Edited June 1:
(Note to self: On hold till mid-July for new readers; otherwise return to olagorie.)