corner corner Dinner at Antoine's

Dinner at Antoine's
by Frances Parkinson Keyes | Literature & Fiction
Registered by amyem of Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Tuesday, April 10, 2012

status (set by freezone): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by amyem from Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Tuesday, April 10, 2012

A friend was having a clear out so I grabbed this, intending to read but I've decieded to cross instead

Journal Entry 2 by amyem at Algiers, 40 Brattle Street, Harvard Sq. in Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (4/10/2012 UTC) at Algiers, 40 Brattle Street, Harvard Sq. in Cambridge, Massachusetts USA

Planned for release at April 2012 Boston Bookcrossers Meetup.

Journal Entry 3 by freezone at Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Wednesday, April 11, 2012

A hardcover book, in perfect condition, and it has the price 45 cents on the inside! That seems very funny.

Looking forward to reading it: both as a story and as a document of New Orleans in the late 40's.

Journal Entry 4 by freezone at Boston, Massachusetts USA on Monday, May 28, 2012

I'm surprised at how much I enjoyed this book. The old style of storytelling: keeping things rolling and making the characters, setting, themes all subservient to plot progress, had a lot going for it. Of course, the gender roles are very outdated, but I found it very interesting as an articulation of the "feminine mystique" in the years after the second world war. You can see why people found it compelling. I'm planning to give to a friend from New Orleans, and see whether she thinks that it really conveys attitudes and atmosphere in New Orleans. She has old me that Frances Parkinson Keyes was a very well known New Orleans writer.

Journal Entry 5 by freezone at Boston, Massachusetts USA on Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (6/17/2012 UTC) at Boston, Massachusetts USA

I think I already wrote a review of this book (I'll double check). I have given it to a friend who grew up (partly) in New Orleans. I'm curious to see how much of her city she recognizes in it, and how much is gone. I certainly felt it was an involving read, and one that taught you about a certain stratum of NOLA society in the post WWII period. Keyes is certainly a very good, evocative writer, in the old fashioned style of novel.